Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seannash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Hi there.

ive been having this problem for over a week now and i cant seem to find an answer on how to fix it.

i recently downloaded a file which had some vsts in it(demo's)i installed them but ever since then i cant get past the initial desktop screen on my macbook pro.(you know just before your icons pop up on the desktop screen)
i keep getting the spinning wheel.

now ive tried every command under the sun to rectify this but its not working.

its been suggested to me that i should boot from my install disk but after moving countries i lost it.
i did happen to get a mac osx disk from a friend of mine but this only lets me get into a sreen where i can perform actions in disk utility and a few other irrelevant actions.

i know what file has done this and i just want to be able to get into my harddrive and delete it.

i was also under the impression that if i had a copy of osx i could boot from it.
this to me meant that i could use my computer normally but bypass the internal startup but maybe im wrong in assuming that.

im at my wits end and very close to bringing it into a shop where ill more than likely be charged to have them do something i feel might be a simple fix.

so has anyone got any suggestions.:D

(ps sorry for the long post but i felt you should know what avenues ive already pursued.oh and that includes searching on here)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you have snow leopard you can definitely put it on a flash drive and boot from that but you have to buy that first. Apple will sell you your install disks for about $50 USD.

seannash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
If you have snow leopard you can definitely put it on a flash drive and boot from that but you have to buy that first. Apple will sell you your install disks for about $50 USD.

i wasnt using snow leopard on my lappy but my mate has included the snowleopard upgrade disk.but i figured id need a cd key yo upgrade it so i dont want to try and install that.

when i do load the other mac install cd(10.4) its says that the software cant be installed

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
i wasnt using snow leopard on my lappy but my mate has included the snowleopard upgrade disk.but i figured id need a cd key yo upgrade it so i dont want to try and install that.

when i do load the other mac install cd(10.4) its says that the software cant be installed

OS X doesn't have any product/serial keys so just install it from your friend's disk. Three of my friends used my Snow Leopard disk to update their Macs, zero issues

seannash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
OS X doesn't have any product/serial keys so just install it from your friend's disk. Three of my friends used my Snow Leopard disk to update their Macs, zero issues

will all my data and software be lost.i really dont want to have to reinstall all my stuff.

and if its not lost whats to stop the files which caused the intial problem **** up snow leopard.

i appreciate your patience as these are probably noobish questions

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
will all my data and software be lost.i really dont want to have to reinstall all my stuff.

and if its not lost whats to stop the files which caused the intial problem **** up snow leopard.

i appreciate your patience as these are probably noobish questions

If you just click install, it won't erase any data as Snow Leopard does an upgrade install, i.e. updates system files but keeps all your data. You would have to wipe the HD with Disk Utility to lose your files. Try reinstall first, if it doesn't work, then see posts above how to delete the file

seannash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
If you just click install, it won't erase any data as Snow Leopard does an upgrade install, i.e. updates system files but keeps all your data. You would have to wipe the HD with Disk Utility to lose your files. Try reinstall first, if it doesn't work, then see posts above how to delete the file

cheers hell hammer,ill try that and let you know how i get on

seannash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
just a quick question but after the com puter restarts itslef during an install.how long does it take before it loads up the desktop screen.

mine is stuck on the apple logo page for the last 20 minutes.

is this normal?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
just a quick question but after the com puter restarts itslef during an install.how long does it take before it loads up the desktop screen.

mine is stuck on the apple logo page for the last 20 minutes.

is this normal?

That is certainly not normal.

What specific Mac do you have and do have access to another Mac with a FW port? If so, try the Target Disk Mode I mentioned earlier.

seannash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
That is certainly not normal.

What specific Mac do you have and do have access to another Mac with a FW port? If so, try the Target Disk Mode I mentioned earlier.

macbook pro.i do have access to another one.

i turned it off and tried to restart but its still stuck on the logo again.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
macbook pro.i do have access to another one.

i turned it off and tried to restart but its still stuck on the logo again.

The use the other MBP and Target Disk Mode to either remove the files you installed or backup your data and erase the HDD on your own MBP to re-install Mac OS X.

seannash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
The use the other MBP and Target Disk Mode to either remove the files you installed or backup your data and erase the HDD on your own MBP to re-install Mac OS X.

ill try that so,the reinstall doesnt seem to be working

seannash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
just to update.had to bring it into a shop to get fixed.

guy reckoned the upgrade to snow leopard did more harm than good and that itll take a bit of fixing to get it fixed.

ah well i tried the diy route,time to let the experts take over:(

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
just to update.had to bring it into a shop to get fixed.

guy reckoned the upgrade to snow leopard did more harm than good and that itll take a bit of fixing to get it fixed.

ah well i tried the diy route,time to let the experts take over:(

Sounds like your HD is busted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.