Unable to find driver

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
afk
AArrghhh.... I have a major presentation tomorrow and I need to allow my smartphone to connect to my mac. so I purchased and installed PocketMac 3.0 smartphone edition. After installation, it recommended that I reboot. but once I did that, it FROZE on startup with a freakin kernel panic and a <unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook5,4"> Arrggghhh... of all nights, it had to be today just hours before my freakin presentation to my investors!!...

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Try booting up while holding down the SHIFT key. This should disable non-essential kernel extensions, and allow you to remove the bad stuff the program installed.

Lee Tom

Comment

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I tried that, the kernel panic still comes up.... Now I am using the disk utility from the recovery disk.... hope... there still hope

EDIT: disk utility has failed me....

Comment

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
i don't know how good you are with the command line, but you can boot holding Command-V, which will put it in verbose mode, and should show you where the kernel panic is happening.
then you can boot holding Command-S and go into single-user mode and delete the file.
possibly.

Lee Tom

Comment

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I tried verbose, the kernel panic pops up immediately on boot up.. It doesn't even show all the usual command for loading..

I am at my wits end.... I think I will try to do an archive and re-install of the system...It's 3 AM on my time, hopefully I can make it.

EDIT: BTW thanks for the help, Lee Tom

Comment

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Word of caution, do not install PocketMac lite together WITH PocketMac 3.0 Smartphone edition. It raises hell for me.

Comment

boom

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2005
I had the EXACT thing happen to me

I had it happen to me, buty I do not have the panther install disk with me to boot from. I do not want to reset the whole thing. I have os 9 install, os ten and ten.2 installs just not panther. ARRGH. any ideas on wht to do in the opwn firmware or soemthing?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.