Unable to find folders after migration assistant

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Burrel, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Burrel macrumors regular

Hi guys,

New to the MBP world having had a windows laptop for the past 6 years, but made a new purchase a few days ago and unfortunately I'm having problems with the migration assistant.

I selected a couple of folders to move across which successfully worked, however, I'm struggling to find the folders (music and pictures) on my MBP. I thought the advantage of using the migration assistant was that it put everything where they should be. I'm not sure if it's as advanced as putting music into iTunes and the pictures in iPhoto, or that's something I need to do manually?

After having a search on Google to try and find a solution, I can see where I've gone wrong because I now have a further 2 user accounts in my profile which is where my transferred folders must be stored. However, I don't seem to be able to find any suggestions on how to get the folders from the user accounts which aren't needed onto my main MBP account.

Please can anyone share their wisdom (in simple terms!) as to how I can get this sorted once and for all. My first attempt on Sunday was a nightmare after selecting everything to migrate, 13 hours passing and the progress bar didn't move an inch (or cm!)

Thank you very much in advance. I suppose if worst come to worst and I can always put my other folders onto DVD's and move them across, I just hoped that the migration assistant would sort all my music into iTunes the same as how it was on my Windows laptop, without me needing to do anything.

2. Burrel thread starter macrumors regular

3. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Indeed if you have used Migration Assistant it will have put the migrated folders into another user. Probably the easiest way is just to log into those users and put it into the shared folder so they can be accessed by your main user.

Of course you can always enable root and then transfer the files from that user directly. But that's probably for advanced users only.

4. yinz macrumors 6502a

Yep, like the other person said, it probably created another account. I recently did this and got really confused. Then I logged out and realized there was another user.

The files are all in the finder.