Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LgArgn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Hi all, i just JB'd and installed cydia. but i couldn't find sbsettings and openSSH. also even after several attempts i couldn't add the repo. whenever i try to add any repo, i keep getting the "host unreachable/caching error" message
also it displays the following message:
Failed to fetch http://apt.bigboss.us.com/repofiles/cydia/dist/stable/main/i18n/translation-en.bz2 host unreachable

any help is much appreciated..

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/853001/

SBSettings is in the bigboss repo...
i just went through this last night, it has to do with the bigboss repo being flaky i think...

i was able to go to Cydia, Manage, Sources, and select any repo and it was populated, except for bigboss which was blank!

i ended up re-syncing my phone after a reboot and out of the blue Bigboss repo came back up. it was probably coincidental.

LgArgn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/853001/

SBSettings is in the bigboss repo...
i just went through this last night, it has to do with the bigboss repo being flaky i think...

i was able to go to Cydia, Manage, Sources, and select any repo and it was populated, except for bigboss which was blank!

i ended up re-syncing my phone after a reboot and out of the blue Bigboss repo came back up. it was probably coincidental.

i saw your post buddy. but i believe my prob is kinda different.. that is i'm not able to add any repo. i tried hackulo.us and sinfulinphone. and i have been trying for the past 2 days! you think it has to do with bigboss?

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
about hackulo... ummm here comes a PM ... ;)

go to your User CP in macrumors and turn your PMs on, they're set to off

LgArgn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
i couldn't find any option to turn them on :( (sorry i sound like a dork. m i missing something here? kinda new to this place.)

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
first off, this is the iphone hacks forums. this question should be asked in the ipod touch hacks forum. secondly, you are posting an illegal source onto macrumors which is against the rules. that pirating copyrighted software which is illegal and can land you in jail. so i suggest u edit your first post.

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
hes asking about Bigboss

take a deep breath, we all know the forum rules no one has responded or given any public input regarding the other repo.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
first off, this is the iphone hacks forums. this question should be asked in the ipod touch hacks forum. secondly, you are posting an illegal source onto macrumors which is against the rules. that pirating copyrighted software which is illegal and can land you in jail. so i suggest u edit your first post.

What exactly is inappropriate about this being in the iPhone forum as opposed to the Touch forum? The OP made no mention of which device he/she has, and the information that's being requested would be relevant to either device.

LgArgn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
What exactly is inappropriate about this being in the iPhone forum as opposed to the Touch forum? The OP made no mention of which device he/she has, and the information that's being requested would be relevant to either device.

hi Penguissimo, actually it was my fault to mention itouch in the begining. but when it was pointed out, i edited my post. As the problem is quite common in itouch and iphone, the information would be useful for both the devices.

LgArgn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
Rock seems to be the answer for me!

after trying hard for 2 days with cydia, i decided to give Rock a shot and boy did i get lucky! i know cydia is the preferred option for many but unfortunately it won't work for me. Rock seemed hassle-free for me. i was able to find the bigboss repo and install openSSH, SBsettings etc. but still wondering what went wrong with cydia.

note: if you are trying to install something via Rock and it says "download failed", just try installing few more times and you will succeed eventually. (this happened to me while installing openSSH and few other apps.)

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
LgArgn,
after installing Rock and getting it to load BigBoss Repo through Rock, can you do us a favor...

go into Cyida > Manage > Sources > and touch BigBoss and tell us if its still blank on your device?

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
hi Penguissimo, actually it was my fault to mention itouch in the begining. but when it was pointed out, i edited my post. As the problem is quite common in itouch and iphone, the information would be useful for both the devices.

Ah, ok, in that case I do retract the first half of my second sentence. But in any case, you're right that this could come in handy for owners of both devices, especially in light of the widespread repo downtime that's seems to have been a problem this week.

LgArgn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
LgArgn,
after installing Rock and getting it to load BigBoss Repo through Rock, can you do us a favor...

go into Cyida > Manage > Sources > and touch BigBoss and tell us if its still blank on your device?

when i go inside sources i don't see anything! when i try to add some repo, it says "updating sources" and then some 10+ "host unreachable/failed to fetch" messages come. one thing that puzzles me is that how come rock alone is able to fetch those seemingly unreachable hosts. (btw my internet connec is perfectly fine.)

B737

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
NJ
that is SO strange. installing Rock was the next step i was going to do last night until my phone suddenly loaded the boss repo.

it makes no sense that Rock can retrieve the repo and Cydia cannot. furthermore, youd think that if Rock is loading the repo then Cydia would then be able to load the very same resource, i know the two programs talk to one another and share resources because they will both manage extensions that were installed by the other app!

very confusing, and very frustrating, but im glad you found a work around.

LgArgn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
@B737

yeah i agree with you. one thing i'd like to point out is that as soon as i open cydia, on the top most pane of the app, it says "downloading release.gpg" and after a while i get the message "cached failed" or "host unreachable". my guess is that cydia wasn't installed properly with all the necessary updates (if any) but i'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.