Unable to format HD on G3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by malanga, Mar 3, 2009.

1. malanga macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2009

I recently picked up an i-mac G3 all in one for my daughter to use. it has OS 9 installed. I wanted to install OS 10, and planned to install it from my i-mac G-4 via firewire hookup, as the G-3 does not have a DVD drive. When I got into disk manager, I tried to partition the 20 GB hd into two drives, and install OS 10 on the second partition, and leave os 9 on the first. Early into the install the computer froze up, and I had to reboot to continue. Now the problem is that although I can still hook up the two via firewire, I cannot access the HD of the G-3. It does allow me to access it in disk utility, and when I boot up the G-4 the G-3 HD does come up on it as an orange firewire HD, but if I try to click on it or access it then the computer freezes up with the whirling color wheel until I reboot. I do not think the HD on the G-3 is bad, but I cannot get it to reformat. Could someone advise? thanks! :confused
  2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    Did the iMac G3 come with any CDs? Try reformatting the drive with the restore disk.
  3. malanga thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2009
    Nope. No disks with it. :(