Unable to get audio from Macbook to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WiCane, Sep 1, 2011.

1. WiCane macrumors newbie

I have a 17" Macbook Pro bought in late 2009. My TV is a Vizio Plasma bought in 06 or 07.

I have the video working with an HDMI cord. After finding out that audio doesn't work through the HDMI cord (Macbook mid-2010 and after have it), I bought a Toslink-to-Optical mini plug digital cable.

I have everything plugged in but audio still doesn't work. I go to Sound System Preferences and in Output it say "this device doesn't recognize audio output" or something like that.

Does that mean my TV doesn't support that type of cord? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Do I need to get a headphone to RCA cord instead?

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Slightly different issue but I can help. Only VLC player (free) will output 5.1 and up via optical and you'll need a surround sound receiver to decode it. That's what I do since my Toshiba will not accept any sort of audio what so ever from any computer I use with it. My Toshiba will only do optical out so I don't think yours will do optical in as that is usually the job of a sound system decoder....if you want audio your best bet might have to be RCA connector's.... sucks but that's what I had to do before I pony'ed up for the optical cable when i couldn't stand my videos epic DTS 6 channel discrete getting downgraded so bad...