Unable to get bridge + modem to work with Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rajjejosefsson, Mar 22, 2014.

1. rajjejosefsson macrumors member

My modem its set to bridge mode but cant get time capsule to work.

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

ISP, modem model and what other network gear do you have installed?

3. rajjejosefsson thread starter macrumors member

Universal telecom sweden, thomson tg 712, seems to work with tc in bridge mode but the thomson will be main router ? Is that bad ? Using 1 computer 1 media player 1 ipad and ps4 .thats all

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I wouldn't call it bad but the guest network generally won't work on the Time Capsule and neither will port forwarding or DNS changes. I always recommend calling the ISP and having the modem set to bridge mode and then the TC doing the work of routing.

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

When running in that configuration, do you have any concern that Airport routers don't run "stealthy", i.e., responds to ICMP scanning? It's the only thing that makes me hesitate to run in the config you suggested.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am not entirely sure to be honest. I do not use that setup on my network. On my network it goes ISP Gateway (Router) with port 1 running to the TP-Link which is connected to the wired infastructure in the building as well as the local server.

On port 2 is a backhaul that runs to an AirPort Extreme 5th gen which is connected to a large network of 8 AirPort Expresses (2nd Gen.)! They are separate and run a double NAT configuration.

Before I get lectured on Double NAT, due to the config of this particular modem style we must have from the ISP (we cannot get our own), this is the only way without bridging the AirPort and TP-Link. Problem with bridging the TP-Link is the lack of power in the modem's built in router, and the problem with bridging the Extreme is it crashes when traffic goes across it to the modem's DHCP server.