unable to go back to snow leopard

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by abz1981, Sep 17, 2011.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hi all
    I am selling my MBP and I have lion os. I called Apple Care to find out how to best clean everything off my mac and then I can give it to the buyer. Apple told me that I cannot give my mac with my current Lion OS on it. They said I would have to go back to snow leopard. Now I cannot find the instal disks for my MBP anymore. However I do have a retail copy of snow leopard. The snow leopard shows when on my desktop, when I insert the disk in. However when rebooting and holding the C key it ends up showing the Apple logo then eventually it gives me a message, saying I need to restart my MBP again. I don't know what else to do. All I am trying to do, is give this MBP a clean start, so therefore the new user can use it as if its out of the box for the first time.

anyone help?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The retail disks won't work if your MBP came with a newer 10.6.x version of Snow Leopard than what came on the disk. You should be able to call Apple and order a replacement copy of your original grey restore disks for $10-15

3. andy.barron macrumors 6502

restart with the disk in (hold C to boot from it) & when it gets to the 1st step of install quit the installer & go to utilities.

You should be able to launch Disk Utility from the menu bar, format the drive then be able to install SL on a clean hd.

Let me know if you need step by step or if you understand me:)

----------

sorry may have mis-interpreted, is the SL disk for the MBP?

4. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

hey thanks blevins321 and andy.

Its a mid 2010 MBP I have. I am sure I had the snow leopard retail disk before I got my MBP. Its not going to work, as you guys say. Guess I need to take it to genius bar and see if they can put it on for me. I was talking to potential buyer. who believes he can take Lion OS off and do a clean and install, without my disk. Is this true? I thought he would need the orig install disk to do this? Or maybe he has one of them disks apple have who are able to do it?

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You can do it if you have a Mac running a newer version of Snow Leopard by cloning the hard drive over. Can be any type of Mac-doesn't have to be a MBP.

6. andy.barron macrumors 6502

no probs.

As long as the disk he has is mbp install it will be fine my friend:)

----------

You mean target disk to the MBP & install & wipe that way? Or do you mean another solution?

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yep-exactly that.

8. andy.barron macrumors 6502

same hymn sheet then chap:)

9. blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

I wish you good luck. Upgrading from lion to snow leopard was the best decision I ever made

10. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

hey all
    thanks for your replies. I have decided to make it a similar solution and take it to apple, and get them to do it at the genius bar.

thanks again :)