Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi again guys, I really am not having any luck with my Lion upgrade.

I'm trying to Import an iCal backup into Lion but all my calender entries come up BUT a few seconds later they're all gone again.

I need help... REAL BAD!

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi again guys, I really am not having any luck with my Lion upgrade.

I'm trying to Import an iCal backup into Lion but all my calender entries come up BUT a few seconds later they're all gone again.

I need help... REAL BAD!

Do you have iCloud enabled? It is possible you are getting "pushed" a blank calendar from iCloud. Start by creating a "spare" user account. Make sure there is no iCloud active for the spare account. Import your iCal stuff into iCal on the spare account. If it shows up and stays then you know there is a problem with your main user account. If it shows up and then blinks out, maybe there is something wrong with the stuff you are trying to import. First, let us know if the stuff imported correctly under a "spare" user account you create on your Mac. You'll have to remember to drop the iCal backup in the "shared" folder before you log in the spare account or you won't be able to see the file to import it.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi mate thanks for your reply. Yup, I have a MobileMe account. But due to all my calendar entries being duplicated upon sync after the Lion upgrade I deleted all my calendars on MobileMe with the intention of Importing a trusted backup of iCal I saved prior to the upgrade.

But I've disabled iCal syncing in System Preferences so I shouldn't be getting a blank calendar being pushed back, should I?

During a sleepless night I had a bit of a brainwave - but only if this problem is to do with a MobileMe conflict! What if I do a clean re-install of Lion and when it asks me for my MobileMe account I leave it blank. Then sync with iTunes and chose to overwrite the phone with the data from the computer? Would that work? Or is there an easier option?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I had a similar problem with iCloud and here is what I discovered.

I bet you exported the iCal calendar and an "iCal archive" in the export menu? There is the problem. It needs to be in the regular export format in that same menu.

To fix it create a new user account then import the iCal archive file to iCal. Then export the same data to the regular export format (first choice in the iCal export menu).

Now go back to your main account and import the export file you just made.

I think the difference in the two files is the archive replaces everything in iCal (not a merge) and this gets over written by iCloud/MobileMe. The other, regular export format gets imported and merged with the existing calendar so apparently does not cause this problem.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Hi Weaselboy thanks for your reply

Alas, I actually exported it only once using the first option available.

But just in case, I'm going to try your method too.

Fingers well and truly crossed

I had a similar problem with iCloud and here is what I discovered.

I bet you exported the iCal calendar and an "iCal archive" in the export menu? There is the problem. It needs to be in the regular export format in that same menu.

To fix it create a new user account then import the iCal archive file to iCal. Then export the same data to the regular export format (first choice in the iCal export menu).

Now go back to your main account and import the export file you just made.

I think the difference in the two files is the archive replaces everything in iCal (not a merge) and this gets over written by iCloud/MobileMe. The other, regular export format gets imported and merged with the existing calendar so apparently does not cause this problem.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Darned it. This method also doesn't work.

My MobileMe calendar online is also blank. But now my calendar entries are on my iPhone.

Is there anyway of replacing iCal data with the data from my iPhone?

Help well and truly needed please folks :(

Hi Weaselboy thanks for your reply

Alas, I actually exported it only once using the first option available.

But just in case, I'm going to try your method too.

Fingers well and truly crossed

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is there anyway of replacing iCal data with the data from my iPhone?(

How about turn off MM calendar sync on the iPhone, then using iTunes to sync the calendar from iPhone to iCal. Then in MM settings force it to replace data on MM with data from the computer (iCal)?

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
How about turn off MM calendar sync on the iPhone, then using iTunes to sync the calendar from iPhone to iCal. Then in MM settings force it to replace data on MM with data from the computer (iCal)?

Is this possible? If so, could you please give me an idiots guide :eek:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is this possible? If so, could you please give me an idiots guide :eek:

Sure...

1. Turn off MM sync in iPhone settings.

2. In iTunes go the Info tab for your iPhone and check the Sync iCal Calendars bubble and check which calendars you want to sync. Then do a manual sync. This should put the iPhone calendar entries in iCal.

3. Go to MobileMe pref pane and I think under advanced is a reset button. (I turned off MM so I can't look for you). When you hit reset it will ask if you want to replace MM (cloud) data with data from your computer, or the other way around with MM data replacing computer data. You want to pick the option to replace MM data in the cloud with data from your computer.

4. Once #3 is done, go to MM web site and see if your iCal data is there. If it is uncheck iCal sync in iTunes and turn MM sync back on in the iPhone.

Before you do that though... in the earlier post I made, were you able to get the iCal data imported and just not up to MM cloud? If so, you might try the forced MM reset I explained first.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Thanks so much for your help so far Weaselboy :)

Firstly, nope. I wasn't able to get the iCal data imported. It kept disappearing :(

Secondly, it's not possible to Sync iPhone TO iCal on iTunes. You can only do iCal to iPhone :( Or am I missing something?

1) When you say "Turn off MM Sync in iPhones settings" - do you mean turn Push OFF and set Fetch ti Manually?

OR, do I go into Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Accounts and turn off the Calendars Tab?

3) Is this the MobileMe pref pane on the Mac itself? If so, should I first sign into MobileMe? I'm a little reluctant as I'm worried that if the data is Pushed to my phone I'll lose ALL the entries that are currently on the phone :(

I'll wait for your reply before I go and do something stupid again :confused:

Sure...

1. Turn off MM sync in iPhone settings.

2. In iTunes go the Info tab for your iPhone and check the Sync iCal Calendars bubble and check which calendars you want to sync. Then do a manual sync. This should put the iPhone calendar entries in iCal.

3. Go to MobileMe pref pane and I think under advanced is a reset button. (I turned off MM so I can't look for you). When you hit reset it will ask if you want to replace MM (cloud) data with data from your computer, or the other way around with MM data replacing computer data. You want to pick the option to replace MM data in the cloud with data from your computer.

4. Once #3 is done, go to MM web site and see if your iCal data is there. If it is uncheck iCal sync in iTunes and turn MM sync back on in the iPhone.

Before you do that though... in the earlier post I made, were you able to get the iCal data imported and just not up to MM cloud? If so, you might try the forced MM reset I explained first.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks so much for your help so far Weaselboy :)

Firstly, nope. I wasn't able to get the iCal data imported. It kept disappearing :(

Secondly, it's not possible to Sync iPhone TO iCal on iTunes. You can only do iCal to iPhone :( Or am I missing something?

1) When you say "Turn off MM Sync in iPhones settings" - do you mean turn Push OFF and set Fetch ti Manually?

OR, do I go into Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Accounts and turn off the Calendars Tab?

3) Is this the MobileMe pref pane on the Mac itself? If so, should I first sign into MobileMe? I'm a little reluctant as I'm worried that if the data is Pushed to my phone I'll lose ALL the entries that are currently on the phone :(

I'll wait for your reply before I go and do something stupid again :confused:

I meant actually turn off MM sync on the phone. You will need to sign in to MM on the computer to complete the rest.

I think iTunes will do a sync/merge and not an over write, but this all worries me we will lose your data.

How about since you have an iCal export we work with that some more?

Is the file you exported called file-name.ics ?? Whatever you named it with a ICS file extension?

Let's try this...

1. Make sure MM and iCal MM sync is turned on in the Mac.

2. In iCal go to file menu, new calendar, MobileMe.... and name the new calendar whatever you want (make it something other than what it was before). This should give you a new blank MM calendar in iCal.

3. Now import the ICS file into the new MM calendar you created.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Let's try this...

1. Make sure MM and iCal MM sync is turned on in the Mac.

2. In iCal go to file menu, new calendar, MobileMe.... and name the new calendar whatever you want (make it something other than what it was before). This should give you a new blank MM calendar in iCal.

3. Now import the ICS file into the new MM calendar you created.

Thanks for the effort mate - alas this didn't work.

I may just try your previous suggestion.

So, I just turn of MM Sync on the phone. Where can I find this option? I've looked but the only option I can find are where you can turn off Mail, Contacts, Calendars all individually. I'm guessing this is what you mean? Only, I just turn off the calendar and not the Mail or Contacts options.

Sorry to sound so stupid :confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the effort mate - alas this didn't work.

I may just try your previous suggestion.

So, I just turn of MM Sync on the phone. Where can I find this option? I've looked but the only option I can find are where you can turn off Mail, Contacts, Calendars all individually. I'm guessing this is what you mean? Only, I just turn off the calendar and not the Mail or Contacts options.

Sorry to sound so stupid :confused:

Hmmm... that ICS file must be corrupted because that import should work.

Correct... just turn of calendar sync.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Right, had a break from this for a few days as it was driving me nuts :confused: Even an Apple Genius was unable to help :eek:

The situation as it stands now is I have double entries on iCal, MobileMe and my iPhone cal.

I'm going to physically delete all the double entries on iCal on Mac.

BUT this only Syncs with MobileMe cal and deletes all the double entries. The double entries on my phone though remain.

I know the phone though IS Syncing as if I enter a new entry on the phone or iCal on Mac they are synced fine.

I've tried to overwrite the phone's data using iTunes but this doesn't remove the double entries.

So, my thinking is this... what if I DELETE my account on the phone. Then re-enter it. Will this then Push all the correct entries from my Mac iCal and MobileMe account? Or will this TOTALLT DELETE everything from not only my phone but also MobileMe and iCal?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So, my thinking is this... what if I DELETE my account on the phone. Then re-enter it. Will this then Push all the correct entries from my Mac iCal and MobileMe account? Or will this TOTALLT DELETE everything from not only my phone but also MobileMe and iCal?

I don't see why you need to delete the acct on the phone. Just turn off MM calendar sync on the phone and when you turn it back on tell it to replace the iPhone data rather than merge.

If you are doing a MM OTA sync as well as iTunes manual sync that will cause double entries as you are seeing.

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
I don't see why you need to delete the acct on the phone. Just turn off MM calendar sync on the phone and when you turn it back on tell it to replace the iPhone data rather than merge.

If you are doing a MM OTA sync as well as iTunes manual sync that will cause double entries as you are seeing.

Weaselboy, first and foremost a MASSIVE THANK YOU to you for all your help, patience and perseverance with my stupidity :eek:

After nigh on a week of trying I THINK with all your help and with a lot of my trial and error attempts, I am finally there :D

TBH, in the end I no longer know exactly how I rectified the problem. A lot of it was from your suggestions. But when some of those suggestions didn't work I just winged it a little and i really hope that this is the end of the saga :roll eyes:

I did however have to go back through ALL the duplicate entries and delete them. Thank goodness for multi-select ;)

Once I did this most things just started to fall into place. The only problem that kept cropping up however was one calendar just refused deletion of entries. I'd delete and then they'd just crop straight back again.

So I deleted this calendar and re-imported it.

This worked... BUT it caused sync issues as iCal would not sync to iPhone. BUT iPhone would sync to iCal :roll eyes:

So more turning off of phone and turning back on and all... fingers crossed... seems to be working well again :D

Once again mate, thank you so much for all your help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.