Unable to inherit previous Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by orbitalpunk, Sep 28, 2018.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

I did a fresh install of Mojave on my nMP and in the past I could reconnect my Time Machine from the previous OS without having to start over. But this time I am getting an error. Has anyone experience similar issues? Usually I can go into terminal and use the following command

sudo tmutil associatedisk -a /

the full command would be like this:

sudo tmutil associatedisk -a / /Volumes/Harddrive/Backups.backupdb/Mac\ Pro/2018-09-26-235241/Macintosh\ HD

But now I get the following error:

Failed to gather snapshots for /Volumes/Harddrive/Backups.backupdb/Mac Pro

2. Howard2k macrumors 65816

Howard2k

I did a clean install and had a Time Machine volume on my NAS and it had no issue opening it directly from the GUI. No CLI. I just opened the Time Machine prefs and added the drive through there I think.

I was really impressed how smooth that was.

3. Mr.Chow macrumors member

Mr.Chow

I'm getting the same error when I try to inherit a backup. Time machine seemed far more stable in the last beta...

4. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

After installing Mojave I took a chance and deleted my TM backups off my NAS and started again. What I have noticed is that, previously, every hourly backup had the NAS drives working furiously and noisily. With Mojave, the backup process is barely noticeable.

5. Ronis_BR macrumors newbie

Hi @orbitalpunk,

I am having this exactly same problem! In my case, I have a HFS+ partition in which I deleted and copied all the data to a volume inside the APFS container. In this case, I needed to associate the new volume with the old one. The command `sudo tmutil associatedisk -a ...` failed with the same error message. My only solution after trying for one hour was to format the external time machine HD and start again.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---
    I submitted a Feedback to Apple.

6. Ronis_BR macrumors newbie

Did anyone tried this after recreating the TM in Mojave?

7. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

I had the opposite issue. I did a fresh install of Mojave and when I plugged in my High Sierra time machine disk, it automatically started comparing the previous backup and made the adjustments in the same parent folder.

I would have preferred that time machine started from scratch with a new backup directory.