Unable to inherit previous Time Machine

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by orbitalpunk, Sep 28, 2018.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

I did a fresh install of Mojave on my nMP and in the past I could reconnect my Time Machine from the previous OS without having to start over. But this time I am getting an error. Has anyone experience similar issues? Usually I can go into terminal and use the following command

sudo tmutil associatedisk -a /

the full command would be like this:

sudo tmutil associatedisk -a / /Volumes/Harddrive/Backups.backupdb/Mac\ Pro/2018-09-26-235241/Macintosh\ HD

But now I get the following error:

Failed to gather snapshots for /Volumes/Harddrive/Backups.backupdb/Mac Pro

2. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

I did a clean install and had a Time Machine volume on my NAS and it had no issue opening it directly from the GUI. No CLI. I just opened the Time Machine prefs and added the drive through there I think.

I was really impressed how smooth that was.

3. Mr.Chow macrumors member

Mr.Chow

I'm getting the same error when I try to inherit a backup. Time machine seemed far more stable in the last beta...

4. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

After installing Mojave I took a chance and deleted my TM backups off my NAS and started again. What I have noticed is that, previously, every hourly backup had the NAS drives working furiously and noisily. With Mojave, the backup process is barely noticeable.

5. Ronis_BR macrumors newbie

Hi @orbitalpunk,

I am having this exactly same problem! In my case, I have a HFS+ partition in which I deleted and copied all the data to a volume inside the APFS container. In this case, I needed to associate the new volume with the old one. The command `sudo tmutil associatedisk -a ...` failed with the same error message. My only solution after trying for one hour was to format the external time machine HD and start again.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---
    I submitted a Feedback to Apple.

6. Ronis_BR macrumors newbie

Did anyone tried this after recreating the TM in Mojave?

7. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

I had the opposite issue. I did a fresh install of Mojave and when I plugged in my High Sierra time machine disk, it automatically started comparing the previous backup and made the adjustments in the same parent folder.

I would have preferred that time machine started from scratch with a new backup directory.

8. zikken macrumors newbie

zikken

I was getting this error. I went into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy and added Terminal to the Full Disk Access panel. Worked for me. Hope it helps!

9. Mr.Chow macrumors member

Mr.Chow

Thank you for the advise. Worked for me too.

10. Cal_Ed macrumors newbie

Cal_Ed

Worked for me as well, thanks zikken

11. eelpout macrumors regular

eelpout

Mind if I ask which NAS you're using?

12. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

I'm using a Synology DS215j. This has worked well for me with Time Machine and for everything else I've needed it for. It's been updated since, of course, so it'll now be DS218j or possibly even 219j.

13. GXWebb macrumors newbie

GXWebb

Thanks zikken! It finally worked for me also.