Unable to insert optical discs.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a-m-k, Dec 6, 2012.

1. a-m-k, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

In short. I can't insert any kind of CD, wether or not it's an included CD or a music CD. I am not sure if something is running, like Safari, that is preventing the CD from going in.... I know this is strange, any kind of help is appreciated.

Thank you!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Software will not prevent CD's from going in. Either you already have a disc in the drive or your optical drive has somehow failed. On my computer I need to insert a disc pretty far in before the drive pulls it in.

3. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I can only go in so far because it's like there's a "wall" for lack of better words blocking it.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Might be a disk inside, Open terminal and paste the following Command

drutil tray eject

hit Enter.

5. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I can do that, but there is no disk inside... Though, is it possible that maybe the thing that forces the disk to eject be stuck? Just wondering.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

It has mechanical parts, mechanical parts can fail or become stuck, give it a try it can't hurt.

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Will keep checking thread to see if OP has retina MBP.

8. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I don't know how to tell if I have a retna MBP or not.... if it helps, I have a 42 month old MBP.

9. noteple macrumors 65816

Had a user who got a second hand MBP that had a second disk installed in the optical drive bay.
    Slot was still there but CD would just go klunk.

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Twas a joke.

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

This might be the case, you might be lucky and have another HDD inside.:D

12. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

possible solution?

There is a small chance I figured out my problem... but please write back if it wouldn't matter. You know how sometimes things are updated and there is an option to eject. I hadn't noticed that before today. Could that be my problem? I mean everything else runs fine, but I just can't get a CD of any kind to enter. I kind of think that was my problem.

Thank you, everybody!

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm not sure I understand. What things are updated? Where is there an option to eject? Please elaborate.

14. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Have you EVER been able to insert a disk, you did not mention this?

Don't know what you mean with your last post.

15. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

The date that this post started was the first day I started having the problem, but as I said. I saw something that had the eject symbol and selected it. I am now saying what I think the problem is/was was the fact that some updater was "active" and since there was a program that I wasn't aware of that needed to be "ejected", that is what my problem was. Thinking about it now, I wish I took a screenshot to show you what I am talking about.

So I am thinking because there was something that could be ejected I think it was in the "devices" category in the 'finder' window that I just ejected that update.

16. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

I can't insert CDs into my MacBook Air either…it must be a conspiracy.

17. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I think you mean that a program got updated, well don't worry, ejecting disks is not only CD's but also downloaded DMG files or Harddisks.

I don't believe this has anything to do with it, think it's a mechanical problem or someone shoved something in, kids???

----------

Hm, one more, if there are more than you two it might be driver related but that would be very odd.

18. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

How old is your MBA and how long as your problem been going on?

19. snaky69 macrumors 603

I smell a troll...

20. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

bjm2660, it's me again and this also can be for everyone else.... I just tried to insert one of the included discs that came with my MBP... It can go in pretty far, just under the center hole, but when it gets there, it "slides" to one side. Yesterday it was like there was a wall and I couldn't even get past the outer white border of one of the included CDs.

21. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

I was able to insert one of the mac cds today.... I figured all was back to normal. I tried to insert a music CD just to check. It didn't enter. I wonder what's going on :confused:

22. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

Intermittent problems are the most vexing. Every time it works, you have renewed hope. Every time it fails you're ready to give up completely. It can be an endless cycle.

Take a sledgehammer to it and suddenly, your options become much clearer!

23. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

LOL.... If all else fails... I think I will go out and update the whole MBP. I will obviously go back to mac.

24. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

It's been a few days since my last post. I have since been able to insert discs, as of right now because I just checked, the disc was accepted and went directly to Itunes to be played.

To all who replied with the same complaint, is your slot drive working now?