Unable to Install 4.2 on new computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JMorrison91, Jan 28, 2011.

1. JMorrison91 macrumors newbie

I recently had my Windows receive the blue screen of death and had to reinstall a new copy of Windows 7. When I attempt to install the iPhone 4.2.1 software on my iPhone 3GS after it transfers purchases I get an error message that “iTunes could not back up the iPhone because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone.” When I click Edit -> Preferences to go into Devices and delete it my list of backups is empty, which makes sense as it is a new computer. When I attempt to create a backup of my iPhone for my new computer I again get the corrupt or not compatible message, even though there is nothing I can do to delete it.

I am running iPhone software 4.1 looking to upgrade to 4.2, as well as iTunes version 10.1.2 on Windows 7.

Thanks for any help!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I having a hard time trying to figure out where you are in the process, so I have a few questions.
    When you had to reinstall Windows, did you also have to do a clean install of iTunes, or is this copy of iTunes from a backup?

3. JMorrison91 thread starter macrumors newbie

A clean install of iTunes, I don't have a backup of iTunes or my iPhone as those were lost. Basically what is happening is when I attempt to back up my phone on my new version of iTunes I get an error when starting that my backup is corrupt or not compatible and to delete it, but there are no actual backups on my computer, and I don't have the ability to create a new one.

4. JamesMB, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Are you just trying to backup (right click on your device and select backup)? I'm pretty sure that you can't backup until you have synced at least once. DON'T SYNC YET, YOU'LL LOSE EVERYTHING. You said that you transferred purchases, that should have copied your apps over to iTunes. Do you also have music and contacts that you want to save?