Unable to Install any other OS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tecya, Jun 25, 2014.

1. tecya macrumors newbie

After a wrongful installation of Kali Linux on my Macbook Pro Early 2011 I'm not able to install any OS like Ubuntu, Windows or Kali. I already did it before in the past, so when I erroneously installed Linux on my main Mavericks partition a lot of stuff messed up. I've been able to recover all the files and make Mavericks run again, but the other systems won't install or won't boot.

Linux systems gave me errors installing the grub loader, while windows gave me a problem with hal.dll which should mean it doesn't recognize the hardware.

I've been successfully able to boot linux from USB so I created a windows bootable USB, tested on my windows pc, which didn't work on my mac.

I'm not interested in virtualizing OS in my Mac with tools like VMware Fusion because what I need to do can't be done from there. Do you know what the problem may be and how to fix it? Or also how to really reset it to factory settings, and with that i really mean factory settings, not the dump videos showing up on google on how to reinstall the OS X partition

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

"Factory settings" is a clean install of the version of OS X that shipped with your machine.

3. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

What method did you use to install Kali? I would restore the computer to its original state and try again.

4. tecya thread starter macrumors newbie

I did the command line install, so I guess that may have tricked me. How do I restore the computer to its original state? That's what I would like to do

5. tecya, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2014

tecya thread starter macrumors newbie

So if i take out my snow leopard dvd, I can just overwrite everything with my leopard partitions and all the problems will be gone?

I still don't understand why I can't boot to other systems located on my hard disk and if this will fix it. If it is for example an EFI problem, than I'm not sure this will help or if the system EFI will even be touched during the operation

6. IlikeMacsSoMuch, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014

IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Your snow leopard dvd won't work because you have installed Maverick and your can't downgrade. Do you still have a recovery partition for maverick? If so use it to re-install everything, if that fails or you don't have that partition, create a maverick usb drive then boot from it to reformat the entire drive then re-install maverick from scratch. My MBP is triple booted (Maverick-Ubuntu-Win7). So there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

Here's how in this thread

7. tech3475 macrumors 6502

Depending on the method you used, you might have messed up the hybrid MBR.

Does bootcamp give you the option to uninstall the bootcamp install?

8. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

This is I'm thinking as well. Redo the partition table completely when you reinstall.

9. LycanNyc macrumors newbie

I ran into some issues as well where I screwed up and deleted my whole drive =X

Thanks for this thread Im redownloading maverick and hopefully get everything back in order.

10. tecya thread starter macrumors newbie

No bootcamp

No, i didn't use bootcamp and I believe I may have messed up the MBR. If I delete all the partitions and reinstall Mavericks, will that fix the MBR and the partition table?

11. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

If you re-install maverick over the entire disk, yes it should. But just to be sure, format the disk before installing.