Unable To install iPhone SDK

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by amalshah71, Feb 1, 2009.

1. amalshah71 macrumors member

Hello,
    I am pretty new to the mac environment and the iPhone.

Downloaded the iPhone sdk and double clicked the dmg file downloaded.

It show me 3 files.(About iPhone sdk , iPhone sdk , Packages)

Double clicked on iPhone sdk and went on clicking "continue". At one of the points it said...Unable to install, reason --> no software found to install.

Then clicked on packages, it shows a many packages to be installed. which one needs to be installed to start with basic iPhone Programming?

Am i going the right way to install iPhone sdk on my mac or some other way is required.

Thanks
    amal.

2. amalshah71 thread starter macrumors member

Guys pls help...am really stuck at this point...did a lot of googling...but could not find anything similar...

The process followed by clicking "iPhone SDK" among the 3 options available in the dmg file..
    (1) Welcome to iPhone sdk installer screen
    (2) License Agreement
    (3) Custom Installation (Kept checkboxes to default)
    (4) Error Message --> "could not install sdk because there were no softwares found to install"

What is the correct way to install the sdk or am i missing something?

Thanks
    amal

3. jnic macrumors 6502a

You're running on an Intel Mac and have enough free disk space, right?

4. amalshah71 thread starter macrumors member

Following is HardWare Overview :

Model Name : iMac
    Model Identifier : iMac8,1
    Processor Name : Intel core 2 Duo

And it shows i have enough disk space(120 GB free).

What's the way out?

I am very much new to the mac environment...

Thanks
    amal

5. Gottaa macrumors newbie

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, I'd suggect ejecting the developer folder (so you just see the .dmg, delete the dmg and download it again incase it didn't download correctly the first time. Beyond that I've no idea, I'm fairly new to mac's as well

6. aicul macrumors 6502a

Strange, but try as indicate a relatively clean start.

1. delete all the downloaded files
    2. delete the "developer" folder if, and ONLY IF, you use it only for iPhone SDK
    3. empty waste basket (that may involve over 100'000 files). You may need to option-delete the waste basket
    4. download the SDK again
    5. re-install as you indicate

If your mac is not SDK compliant an alert will tell you so.

7. amalshah71 thread starter macrumors member

I am just not able to get as to what to do.........

As mentioned on the download page of SDK...10.5.5 should be installed prior to installing the sdk...

even did that...upgraded to 10.5.5 (had 10.4 earlier).

what could be the way out...did a lot of googling, but to no use...

This "The installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install." message is really making me sick...

am really stuck....

Thanks
    amal

8. jnic macrumors 6502a

Bit of a long-shot: the pre-install advisory says you need iTunes 8.0 or above installed. Is it?

9. CommanderData macrumors regular

Good point, since he was running 10.4 and just upgraded to install the SDK, his iTunes is probably still 7.x...

10. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Just one more thing to throw out there just in case... don't you need Xcode installed first before you install the iPhone SDK?

11. amalshah71 thread starter macrumors member

Yes i did not have iTunes 8 installed(had 7.7 installed)...

Installed iTunes 8.0.2...though not fruitful...

it still shows me the same message "Installation had errors" with that yellow icon...

where do i go?

Thanks
    amal

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

No, the iPhone SDK includes Xcode.

13. eddietr macrumors 6502a

What a bizarre situation. I've installed so many different versions of the SDK on both my Macs with no problem.

Are you installing on your primary drive?

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And you've done all the things suggested by aicul in posting #6?

15. infowarfare macrumors 6502

Ahh, I wasn't sure about that or not. I will be going through this same procedure this weekend when my new Macbook Pro (my first Intel based Mac) gets delivered.

It sounds like the OP has something corrupted, either the download of the SDK package or the drive itself?

16. amalshah71 thread starter macrumors member

Yes i have installed in the "Macintosh HD" drive....

I need to know whether i did the right thing on the following :

--> I had initially had MAC OS 10.4 and itunes 7.7
    --> Started installing the sdk...kept getting that "Installer error"
    --> Then did googling...which landed me to a page which said that if sdk installation dosen't work , install all those .mpkg files from the "Pacakges" folder begining with "iPhone". Also individually installed gcc pkgs and the xcode.Extras.pkg
    --> since Xcode was not available in the above "Packages" folder so installed Xcode 2.5
    --> Then upgraded to 10.5.5
    --> then to itunes 8.0.2
    --> Then here just dragged and dropped the "Developer" folder, "Programs"(which contained iPhoneos.programs and iphonesimulator.programs) folder and the "Xcode 2.5" folder from the Macintosh HD drive to the Trash bin to make sure i am all clean before installing sdk with pre-requisites installed (i.e. MAC OS 10.5.5 and itunes 8.0.2)
    --> Then tried installing sdk again...but the same message...(but here , when i come to the "custom install" screen where i am showed the things to install it says "Developer tools" , "iphone sdk" and "Unix tools" just needs Upgrade...whereas i have deleted the sdk and the xcode thing into trash )

So..is just doing Drag-And-Drop to Trash folder uninstalls the installed software....

Thanks
    amal

17. CommanderData macrumors regular

Wow, just wow.

Maybe your system is so borked from all those upgrades, forced install attempts of sub-packages, and deletions that you should just format and start with a clean OSX 10.5 install... At this point I think that's the only way you'll clean things up enough to get the SDK to install.

18. Stachelsk macrumors regular

Not necessary.

Run the installer like you normally would, and when the error pops up, open Console and look at the most recent lines. Paste them here. It'll tell you the error right in the console there.

19. amalshah71 thread starter macrumors member

Did as u suggested...ran the sdk installation..got the error...went to Applications/Utilities/Console..following is the message displayed.....

04/02/09 11 AM Installer[381] The installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install.
    04/02/09 11 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.backupd-wake[343]) Exited with exit code: 1

Thanks
    amal

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

No. Applications > Utilities > Console.

21. amalshah71 thread starter macrumors member

Did as u suggested...ran the sdk installation..got the error...went to Applications/Utilities/Console..following is the message displayed.....

04/02/09 11 AM Installer[381] The installer could not install the software because there was no software found to install.
    04/02/09 11 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.backupd-wake[343]) Exited with exit code: 1

Thanks
    amal

22. amalshah71 thread starter macrumors member

The complete stack trace is as attached....

it seems that it can't instantiate "DevExamples.pkg"...what does that mean?

is the downloaded sdk not done properly..

Thanks
    amal

Attached Files:

23. CommanderData macrumors regular

SO did you re-download the SDK as suggested in posts 5 and 6 a few days ago? If you did not, then delete your SDK installer and do so immediately. And if that doesn't work, plan on my suggestion (get out your Leopard disc and start fresh ;))

24. amalshah71 thread starter macrumors member

@commander --> I am in the process of re-downloading the sdk...

I am avoiding going for the format way...it's the last resort... ;)

Just a thought...i would like to do a checksum process on the dmg file downloaded...from where can i get the checksum of iphone sdk 2.2.1...

Thanks
    amal

25. jnic macrumors 6502a

The disk image verify process is already performing a checksum when you first unpack it, so it's unlikely you've got a bad copy (especially if you've downloaded it more than once already).