Unable to install Mac OS X Lion after resetting

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by 311mi, Jul 15, 2014.

1. 311mi macrumors newbie

I've got a secondhand Macbook Air that I've been trying to wipe the memory out of. I was successful in resetting it, but I had forgotten to update the system before resetting it. After resetting it, I tried installing Mac OS X Lion through Recovery. I've actually successfully been able to do this twice on two other computers, but for this one, no matter how many times I tried, the message "This item is currently unavailable" shows up right after signing into the app store.

I do not have a SuperDrive, and I don't have the CDs either.

Thanks

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You could create a USB drive on another Mac.

3. daplow macrumors newbie

I am having exactly the same issue. The update from the Apple servers says it's unavailable and to try again later.

I have a new Macbook Pro with Mavericks. Am I able to create a Lion recovery USB drive with this?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. You will need to download the Lion Installer from the Mac App Store and restore the image to a USB. You can then safely remove the Lion Installer.app from your drive.

5. daplow macrumors newbie

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can use DiskMaker X or manually restore the Install ESD via Disk Utility.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When you say new, do you mean a new model 2013/2014 model MacBook? If so, the App Store will not allow you to download Lion to that machine since it won't run Lion. Sounds like maybe you are trying to use a new Mac to make a USB key for an older Mac?

8. MacVault macrumors 65816

I'm having same problem with MacMini early 2009 model. I replaced HD, put old drive into ext usb enclosure and booted from its recovery partition. I tell it to install OS X Lion, it asks for my Apple ID credentials then returns saying ...temporarily unavailable. I do not have another Mac with which to create a Lion USB install drive. What are my options? Frustrating as HELL, Apple!!

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Ideally, you would have created a restore disk. At this point you can either use your recovery DVDs that shipped with the machine or bring it to an Apple Store for a free re-image.