Unable to install terminal app

Discussion in 'macOS' started by junglepunk, Aug 19, 2010.

1. junglepunk macrumors newbie

I'm on a standard user account and I would really like to install icalbuddy which is a terminal app. When I install apps normally I simply have to provide a admin name and pw, but this doesn't work when it is a terminal app because it requires that the 'su' command be run.

So I thought that I could run terminal as admin through 'su - admin' and then install. But of course the admin account doesn't have access to the user folder where the installer is located. I just can't win.

What do I do now?

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

The default install location appears to be /usr/local, hence you need to use sudo to install. If your account is standard, then you can't use sudo. But you should be able to install the program into your own home folder.

Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash
    # 
    # install script for icalBuddy# Copyright 2008-2010 Ali Rantakari# 
    # --------------------------------------
    # 
    # You can use the --prefix=/path
    # argument to specify the prefix where
    # the program should be installed.
    # 
    # 

In Terminal, just cd to the directory that contains the install script and try

Code:
    ./install.command --prefix=~/local

(If you have no idea what I'm suggesting, then please forget about this application.)

3. junglepunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's an interesting workaround, but, and correct me if I'm wrong here, I thought the reason you were supposed to install it to /usr/local/ was so that you didn't have to specify the path when calling the app in terminal? With this solution I have to specify the path every time I want to use it, right?

4. junglepunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, nevermind. As I eventually figured out the /usr/local/ folder is global so obviously it doesn't matter which account is used to install to that dir. So the simplest solution here is to log in to the admin account and install from there. The app will still be accessible from my regular user account.