Unable to install XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snowwing, Feb 10, 2010.

1. snowwing macrumors member

snowwing

Cloned my new Seagate Momentus, 7200 RPM, 500g hard drive and installed in my Macbook Pro. Worked really well until I partitioned the drive and tried to install Windows XP. At the end of the long installation (three times) i get a disc error... press any key to continue - of course this didn't work. I had to hold the power button down to shut down, then restart while holding the eject button down to eject the XP disc. Unfortunately I still need XP for a couple of applications so I guess I will reinstall my original 320g, 5200 RPM drive. This is the very reason I switched to the Mac - to end this frustrating waste of time. I will redouble my efforts to ween myself off of Windows! Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Ron

2. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Always the first question, is it SP2?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. snowwing thread starter macrumors member

snowwing

It is SP3. I installed it when I first got the Mac about six months ago and It installed as it was supposed to. The XP disc has only been used that one time until today. I have to believe that the new HDD doesn't like it for some reason. Thanks for the help
    Ron

4. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Can you be more specific with the error you got?

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Most common cause of the disk error issue is neglecting to format the Bootcamp partition during the XP install. If you selected "leave current file system intact" that was incorrect, you must choose NTFS or FAT (assuming the size you allotted is < 32 GB).

6. snowwing thread starter macrumors member

snowwing

No, I'm sorry I can't & I have switched back to my original hard drive. It took about the time I would have expected to load XP, then when I think it should have ejected the disc it said something like disc error press any key to continue. I didn't get as far as having to enter the license code # & like I said earlier I had to hold the power button down to shut down. Then after I let it sit for a minute I turned the power on and had to hold the eject button to eject the disc.
    Ron

7. snowwing thread starter macrumors member

snowwing

One of the times I did "leave current file system intact". One of the times I tried reformatting to NTFS. When I originally installed XP I don't recall having this option. The partition on the original drive is FAT32
    Addition: I tried to use WinClone to clone & move the partition over but at the end of that process the new partition wasn't large enough so I decided to go the slow way and install XP and all my other software and data, but obviously didn't get that far. I wonder If I'm a victim of my own process?!!

8. snowwing thread starter macrumors member

snowwing

Update!
    I was able to install my new hard drive and Windows XP. JediMeister , you were correct - I had not formatted the partition correctly when installing.
    Thanks

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

10. snowwing thread starter macrumors member

snowwing

Just to add, I learned a lot during the process!