Unable to log onto bank

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sealing1, Sep 10, 2016.

1. sealing1 macrumors newbie

Hi, hope I am posting in the right forum, for the past couple of month I am having difficulty logging into my bank, previous to this I have not had a problem, at the moment it will not accept my password and directs me to a contact number, for security reasons I ignore this and look up the number online, what the bank is telling me is that there is a problem logging on using Apple products and the Safari browser, and advises using Google Chrome, can anyone tell me if this is a large download, to be honest I don't fancy downloading Chrome just for this particular bank I am thinking I would sooner use another bank, I welcome your advice and comments

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Chrome is easy to install and uninstall. It runs independant from Safari. And it's a great alternative.
    Tell your bank it's time to welcome 2015 and html5/css3 and to get with it.
    It's weird they recommend chrome though, they're both running webkit as engine so 'sorta' the same engine wise. But yeah, Safari can cause some problems on certain situations. About 7 years ago. I guess they never updated their site since Miami Vice was on tv.

Also make sure you are on the site of the bank, check the URL, check the certificate in the browser, and check who owns the certificate - that no traffic is intercepted and/or manipulated.

Any ad blocker or content blocker or that flash/java is turned on (turn it off).

And yes, switching to a bank that has a better online presence is what I would personally do. Writing a site that works in html5/css3 so it works in any browser that's 4 years old or newer, shouldn't be a hard task these days.