Unable to login to user account

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by war eagle, Jul 14, 2014.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I have a primary and secondary account that I use on my Mac. I am unable to login to one of them successfully. The desktop wallpaper will load, a finder window will open with question marks, but the clock, nor wi-fi signal bars ever appear. In addition the computer just locks up and the beach ball spins.

I have been manually powering down the laptop when that happens and having to login my secondary account which I can move around fine with except I don't have access to my files.

My question is there anyway I can grant myself access to folders on my other user name without logging into that user name? Or is there a remedy to resolve the issue with logging into my primary account?

Thanks.

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

first thing you might do : boot up from the Recovery partition (Cmd + r), use Disk Utility to check/repair the disk, and repair the permissions.

If this does not help, you will be able to access to folders on your account by using the "root" user.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can copy files from the old account to the new using the cp command in Terminal preceded by sudo. That will allow you to access the files in the other account.

Also, try a safe mode boot into the broken account. That bypasses any startup/login items and may get it working.