Unable to login ( under root user, or my admin account)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MiloEyes, Jun 23, 2011.

1. MiloEyes macrumors newbie

I enabled a root user, and loged in one time sucessfully. I shut down my MacBook air, and turned it back on later, to login. I have tried logging as root user, and as my admin, the same thing happens everytime, it starts to load like it's going to login and then goes right back to the login screen. I am a 100% the passwords are correct. One thing I have noticed is that non of the start up commands work, I wanted to get into the bios, didn't work. The only start up option I did suceasfull was safe mode. I have a MacBook air, no inatll disk and not external drive. How do I get into the bios, where I can reformat- I remember doing this stuff a long time ago on my old mbp.
    Please help I have no idea what to do. I cant even get past the login screen

2. DennisVar macrumors newbie

Do you have a 2010 Macbook Air? It should have come with a reinstall OS USB stick. Almost hard to notice it in the envelope with the manual. Try inserting the stick, restarting, and pressing "C" when you hear the startup tone.

More info: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4399

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Macs have no bios.

If you want to reinstall use the USB stick that came with the machine.

4. MiloEyes thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have this, I purchased this MacBook of craigslist , was unaware of a USB install. I was able to get into the verbose screen, is there a command I can type in. I believe s login file may have accidentally been erased when I was messing around.

If there are no bios on a mac, what is the screen caller where you can see the discs and run formats and such ( startup command)

Also I have been reading about rEFIt, does this mean it's enabled and why startup commands are not working?

5. DennisVar macrumors newbie

This doesn't actually answer your question, but if you're near an Apple store, you could always take the Macbook there for help. Even though you're not original purchaser, they should help you since it's within 1 year warranty.

6. MiloEyes thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been reading about typing In commands (applesetupdone) /sbin. To create a entirely new user account. Will this help me reinstore the login in file I deleted, I know how stupid. I deleted some login thus I cannot login.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Hmm, no USB stick?
    THis stick isn't usable except on same kind of MBA, I'm 90% sure you have bought a stolen machine.

8. MiloEyes, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011

MiloEyes thread starter macrumors newbie

ok.. how do i flash the BIOS in the the mba. i cannot even login. After messing with the settings under a root user, i attempted to make a new user name, when doing so i deleted a folder with password keychains and login items. Now i cannot login to anything, I have been told to flash the BIOS.

i contacted the guy i purchased the mba from, he informed me it, i did something wrong and to re install, he did not give me a re install cd nor flash drive.

What can i do, i hold command S and get into the start up screen where i can type in text, i cannot get into any other start up command. I have heard its something do do with BIOs or firmware.

i have read about Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI). What is this and how do i flash it?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

ITs the replacement for Bios and for intents purposes its not really accesible on macs. You don't need or want to flash it either.

What would you flash it with?

You need a boot device and if the seller didn't or won't provide you one, then bring it to your local apple store and see if they can provide one for you. Calling apple support should also work as well.

Getting to the bios (which doesn't exist) or the EFI doesn't help you one bit. You need a boot drive, whether that's an apple provided thumb drive or a disc. Given that its a MBA, you need to get your hands on a thumb drive with osx on it.