Unable to maintain Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sdneidich, Feb 21, 2011.

1. sdneidich macrumors member

My PC is from 2007, and currently runs Windows 7. Lenovo Thinkpad T60p.
    It has an 11 a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter.

I just bought a Time Capsule, and have a problem with my connection: it periodically drops. As in i am connected for 30 seconds, then not connected for 10-15 seconds, then it works again. This is annoying while browsing the web, and EXTREMELY annoying when playing games (Battlestar Galactica Online is amazing, btw.)

Any thoughts on how to address this issue?
    I am going to be ordering a Macbook Pro after the refresh Thursday, but I would like my old laptop to work on my network. Thanks!

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Plug your laptop into the router via ethernet and see if you still have the issue.

3. sdneidich, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

sdneidich thread starter macrumors member

When plugged in, the internet works fine. In fact, I have download speeds of ~77 Mbps.

But when not plugged in, it is a problem. I am trying to address the Wireless issue.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Understood but by your OP wasn't clear that you already made sure everything except solely the wireless link was tested.

Try this - move the TC temporarily to be out in the open. I had this issue with mine, it did not like the cabinet that the Linksys router before had no issue with.

5. sdneidich thread starter macrumors member

Didn't help. Thanks for trying though! I am on the phone with Applecare, and trying to figure it out.

6. sdneidich thread starter macrumors member

We established that the time capsule is working, because my iPhone works on the network even when my computer is not. Apple is recommending I speak with my computer manufacturer. Sigh...

7. sdneidich thread starter macrumors member

After attempting to resolve the issue with the On Campus IT service at UNC chapel hill, issue is still persisting.

What we verified:
    Issue is unique to my PC
    Time Capsule is Functioning fine with other devices
    There is not interference from other networks at my location.

What we tried:
    Changing PCI a/b/g Express card (Atheros) to only broadcast on 2 GHz, 5 GHz, and Auto.
    Turned setting "Allow power controls to turn card on/off" to no.

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Did you try to go to the manufacturer's site and download the latest driver? Sometimes that helps, other times it makes things worse.