Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacedesign911

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Hi guys, appreciate your thoughts or comments on an issue I am having.

I have a new dual SSD and HDD Mac Pro, I'm trying to move my Documents, Pictures and Music folders from my SDD to the HDD with symbolic links.

I am using this method here, http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_move_your_documents_folder

I can make the links, and I understand the principle, but I can't then make any changes to the old Documents folder name.

Even in the info window I can't change the name of the documents folder, any thoughts? My login has me as admin.

Thanks in advance.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Same here. I need to be able to do this for Documents, Pictures and Movies. I can make the symlinks no problem, but I can't change/rename/delete the original folders in Finder. I want to be able to just click my Music sidebar in Finder and have it bring up the symlink folder. And I want the folders to have the standard icons like normal.

There has to be a guide somewhere that explains how to do exactly what I've said, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. I can't be the only person who wants this optimal set-up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.