Unable to make DVD with iDVD and iMovie 09.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simssk, Aug 16, 2014.

1. simssk macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm having problems with Imovie 09. Yeah, I know it's old but it's always worked and I'm not ready to get a new Mac yet.

I have been trying to make a DVD from a project in Imovie. It goes to IDVD. I DVD won't write to the disk because of the IDisk problem and mobile me. I obviously can't log into MobileMe or initialize IDisk so nothing is being copied and that stupid error message about IDisk and logging into MobileMe.

There has to be a work around this. Simply removing IDisk from the sidebar doesn't remove the "security" from it.

How do I get this DVD made? Is it one of those things that just can't be fixed because it's too old?

I've been pulling out my hair all day on this. I can't find current info on this problem anywhere. I would so appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

what is the exact message that you get?
    At what point after launching iDVD do you see the message?

3. simssk thread starter macrumors newbie

The error message is: Your iDisk is unavailable. Make sure you are logged in to your MobileMe account and then try again to access your iDisk.

Imovie prepares the project and creates the movie, IDVD opens up, I prepare that, insert the DVD. It goes through its process of prepare, process menus, slideshow, movies and then when it gets to burn, the DVD is ejected, the Finder icon starts jumping and I get the above message.

Obviously, I can't login into MobileMe so I'm stuck there.

Thanks for any help.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

5. simssk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that link. I'll give some of those suggestions a try.

I don't understand how Apple could make such a major change such as removing MobileMe and not making updates available that would eliminate this type of problem. It's been frustrating.

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

At least in regards to iDVD, that last had a major update (to version 7) with iLife '08. It's had a few minor tweaks to keep it working, mostly, and finally dropped completely.

That thread that I linked probably has your best clue, by trying to discover why iDVD is trying to connect to iDisk/etc. at all. I expect that you should be able to clear the settings (.plist) file for iDVD. It could also be the way that iMovie is exporting your project to iDVD. You may get some results by exporting your iMovie project in a different format, and using some other app that will burn a DVD. The app named (surprisingly!) Burn may do that very nicely (caveat - I have never tried burning a DVD from Burn app, but it does show that as a capability. I DO use Burn for other uses, too, and it works well for my use.)
    http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html