Unable to Meet Activity Minutes Goal

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by btrach144, Aug 17, 2016.

1. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I've had my watch for a year. For the first 10 months, if I took two brisk walks each day of roughly 15-20 minutes, I would usually reach my goal of 30 minutes per day.

I had to reset my watch when installing the wOS 3 beta so I had to recalibrate my watch data. Now, I'm lucky to get 5 minutes of activity each day even though I'm doing the same things. The current state of the watch seems a lot less accurate.

Anyone else have similar issues or resolutions?

2. thepyro395 macrumors member

thepyro395

I've had the same issue with watchOS 3. No matter what I do I can't get the 30 minutes.

3. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I am not seeing any difference in the activity minutes ("M'entraîner" on my Apple Watch in French) on watchOS 3 vs watchOS 2. I get 15-30 minutes per day just walking several blocks to and from my car and to lunch. And then I get at least 50-60 more minutes from my evening runs. In all the months I've had my watch, I don't know that I've ever failed to get my 30 minutes.

4. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
  5. btrach144 thread starter macrumors 65816

btrach144

this doesn't seem to matter. Maybe I'll do a 3rd recalibration?

6. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Yeah, or maybe a disconnect and reconnect it your phone :(

Hope you find a solution!

7. newtestleper macrumors 6502

I'd advise against it. I've had the same issue after having heavy activity at the gym during the first few weeks of having the watch (way back at the initial release) but then tailed off. Now I can only get it to recognise exercise via vigorous walking. It's as if the mean expectancy didn't average out when the gym use ended.

8. DblHelix macrumors 6502

I am seeing roughly the same readings for the same activity. I always hit my goal and usually around 600cal of activity/day on every is I have been on

9. DaleJrGirl macrumors newbie

I walk for 45 minutes each night and I can't get it to reach the 30 minutes as well.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

In order of a minute to be counted a minute, you must be walking at a 3.5mph rate for the entire 60 seconds. If you walk for 58 straight seconds at 3.5mph and then drop to 3.3mph for the final 2 seconds, you're minute will not count and you have to start that minute over.

11. btrach144 thread starter macrumors 65816

btrach144

That makes sense. I think my issue is that I setup my calibration during my walk after lunch, in which I fast walk so it probably threw off my pace. I'm going to try and go for a regular pace walk tonight and we'all see.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Best way to calibrate is go to a track and walk for 20 minutes at an average pace. You want to make sure it is an open area with good GPS signal, you have your phone and its a consistent 20 minutes. It doesnt matter if you maintain the 3.5mph the entire time, the idea is just to get your stride to sync up between the watch and the phone.

13. btrach144 thread starter macrumors 65816

btrach144

Alright, 3 loops around my apartment building added up to 20 minutes. I typically walk very fast so I believe in my first two calibrations with wOS 3, I walked very fast and set an unrealistic baseline. This means I probably would have had to run anywhere in order for it to count.

This time around though, I did a very peaceful and casual 20 minute walk.

It worked! I reached 36 minutes of activity yesterday.

Thank you to everyone for the input!