Unable to move finder windows / Always on current desktop

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Egally08, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Egally08, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016

Egally08 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, appreciate your help in advance.

This problem arose yesterday after finder froze, and I had to force quit it. I restarted after I was unable to relaunch finder successfully.

I'm on a 27" 5k 32gb 1tb ssd. I'm always running a lot of programs, and depending on what I'm working on, have anywhere from 8-12 desktops. I like to keep each program / vps / browser on it's own desktop, so I can easily swipe between them. Most of the time I dedicate one desktop for all my finder windows.

Before the force quit, each finder window would stay on it's designated desktop, and using mission control, I could move them at will. Now, whenever I switch desktops, every open finder window follows me, and ends up on top of the new desktop.

At times, I'm switching between desktops every few seconds to copy/paste or compare figures. Having my finders pop up on top and block whatever I'm trying to do is incredibly inconvenient and a killer for my productivity.

I'm attaching a photo of my mission control, and if you look on desktop #5, I'm attempting to move a finder. You'll see a "0" with a slash through it. I am able to move any other programs, just not my finders.

I've googled, and searched the forums, and have come up empty. It's not "Locked" either.

[​IMG]

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

1. Reboot
    2. delete plist file? (I don't see one for Mission Control) and Reboot
    3. boot in Safe Mode
    4. try a new/different User Account