Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Hello,

I just bought a macbook air last week.
There where no problems the first couple of days. But suddenly i was unable to open certain websites and certain content on the websites. This includes both text and videos etc.
I have tested my network with several other PCs and MacBooks, and they had no problems with opening any website.
I have also tried to reinstall lion, but that didn't work.
youtube.com is one of the websites i cannot open at all.
I have also called apple, and they could not help me. We checked all my network preferences and flash settings, and all was correct.

I hope someone of you can help me, or else i have to return my computer.

Kindest regards,
David P, denmark

Franciturci

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2009
Have you tested different web browsers (Chrome, Firefox)? In which sense you have no access to certain sites? Do you mean you can't see some components or that you can't get to the page at all?

Which version of the OS do you have?

Last edited:

pauner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Thanks for your reply!

yes I've tried both firefox and crome. Neither works.
But i have just tried to use sites like "www.proxybrowsing.com" and "http://anonymouse.org/". Using these sites i can access all web sites again.

Although its pretty annoying to have to open one of these sites to surf.

Any suggestions to what the problem could be?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Thanks for your reply!

yes I've tried both firefox and crome. Neither works.
But i have just tried to use sites like "www.proxybrowsing.com" and "http://anonymouse.org/". Using these sites i can access all web sites again.

Although its pretty annoying to have to open one of these sites to surf.

Any suggestions to what the problem could be?

and the sites that are blocked work on other PC's and Macs on your network?

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Have you installed third-party plugins or extensions? I know for a fact that the most up-to-date DivX extension, for instance, isn't fully Lion-compatible, which makes playback of QuickTime media on web pages impossible, unless you disable DivX. Other plugins might be equally faulty.

richf771

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Having exactly the same problem. Is there anyplace where a list of blocked sites exists. It is interesting that the sites are added one by one and tend to be some, but all of the more frequently visited. The list includes banks, retailers etc.

I have deleted preference lists, cache, etc.

Problem with all browsers.

Does not happen with my other mac or PC at home.

Driving me crazy.

Any help?

RufusL

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
Similar problem

I am having a similar problem that my macbook won't open a website that can be opened on other computers. It is my own website built on wordpress and this problem started after loading a new theme on Saturday. I have deleted all of my browsing history plus turned the router on and of and tried other browsers but none of this seems to work. I know this is an old thread but I wondered if anybody found a solution?

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
What do you mean by "doesn't load"? Do you get an error? Does it appear to just keep trying? What is your DNS server? Have you tried a different DNS server such as 8.8.8.8 (google)? If you give us a web site link, we can see if it works for us.

iThinksimple

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
don't forget to check /etc/hosts file,
may be hosts file was changed by software that you install on a Mac recently, so the website url is blocked, it's just a little possibility,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.