unable to open image files saved to disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wulfstan, Aug 7, 2009.

1. wulfstan macrumors newbie

All of a sudden my computer (imac, 10.4.11) won't let me open images downloaded from digital cameras (I've tried several - so it's not the cameras). I get the following error - "Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that Preview doesn't recognize." Also the same basic error when using Photoshop and Fireworks.

I can open files still on the camera, or saved to a CD - just not anything dragged to the desktop.

I can still open pictures which had been previously saved - but nothing new.

I ran the Repair Disk utility, which found and apparently fixed an Illegal Name error on the hard drive, but the problem still persists.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Where you using the same flash drive in all the cameras or separate flash drives in each one?

3. wulfstan thread starter macrumors newbie

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

What is the file extension of the new downloads?

Can you run disk utility on one of the flash drives?

5. wulfstan thread starter macrumors newbie

.JPG

Possibly, I don't know, I haven't tried. I'm not sure how this would help though....? Unless I'm missing something. I don't think the cameras are the issue. Perhaps I should have mentioned this, but I also had a basic text file go corrupt at the same time I started having problems with the image files (though the text file error hasn't yet happened again - have been able to save them again without problems). Something seems screwed up with the computer's ability to read image files all of a sudden.

on edit:
    Spoke too soon. Now I can't open TextEdit files I've just saved, either. Or screenshots.

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I was thinking that the flash drive got corrupted or that copying from the flash drive was corrupting the file.

Try creating a new user, copy the files from the flash drive, and see if you can read them then.