Unable to open pdf in Preview

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cavara34, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Cavara34 macrumors member

Aug 14, 2012
    So I've been marking up a large pdf for some time and after having saved and closed it the last time, the icon no longer displays the first-page image anymore and won't open in Preview (or Adobe Acrobat Reader), generating the message "It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize."

I copied and pasted text into a note box on the file which I think is being treated as unsupported, even though the text is from the document itself.

The only recovery tool I know of that I've had success with in past is this - https://www.pdf-online.com/osa/repair.aspx - but it has a limit of 32mb and mine is over 40mb. Is there anything else I can do to "repair" it?

2. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2013
  3. Cavara34 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 14, 2012

I'm not sure either, but I have a feeling those are relevant somehow. I've lost a lot of work. That's really disappointing. At least I know to stop using Preview to edit files. Thanks.

If you or anyone else happen to alight upon some means of 'repairing' a 'damaged' PDF, I'd be glad to know of it. StellarPhoenix doesn't work for me nor the link I listed above, and I don't know of another option.
  4. HDFan macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2007
  5. Cavara34 thread starter macrumors member

Aug 14, 2012