Unable to opening scanned docs saved as pdf files, any help appreciated

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sparkle7, Dec 18, 2011.

1. sparkle7 macrumors newbie

Hi, wonder if anyone can help.

I am scanning in documents to my macbook pro 10.6.8 using text help(text-to-speech software) and a canon scan lide 200. I am scanning docs in as pdfs, but for some reason I'm now unable to open the files saved. When I try I am asked to convert file from, and a long list of options are given, none of which include pdf.

Can anyone please advise on whether ther is something that I might need to change in settings? I hve not had this problem before and this has previously never been a problem. The only thing i cna think it might be is that I recently reinstalled all the programmes bcak onto the mac and I don't know if that has some how changed things in scanning pdfs? I've looked in the settings for scanning and that also doesn't seem to be problem not sure if it is system preferences perhaps that holds the key to this?

ANy help much appreciated

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I'm not familiar with the TextHELP software so I don't think I can be of much help, but after reinstalling the software have you reinstalled any updates that might be available for it?

3. sparkle7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi- I don't think its TextHELP as it does not have any upgrades etc as it is a demo version that I'm reinstalling onto my system. I think the problem has more to do with the system preferences because after reinstalling everything I also lost the index feature on the mac/within spotlight. I remedied that problem by stumbling across something by accident, but unfortunately this has not yet happened for this problem : )

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Let's see if we can figure something out.

• When you do the scan is it done with TextHELP or the Canon software?
    • Once the scan is complete it sounds like you're saving it as a pdf is that correct?
    • Does the file name have the .pdf extension?
    • Then you are trying to open the saved pdf from within TextHELP, correct?
    • Instead of opening it's giving you the option to convert it to another format which isn't normal, correct?
    • Are then any preferences in TextHELP that relate to the saving or opening of pdfs?
    • Are they set correctly?
    • What happens if you drag and drop the pdf on to the TextHELP app icon?

5. sparkle7 thread starter macrumors newbie

TextHELP scanning

Hi
    Scan is done with scan icon in text Help. I make sure that in the scan option the following are selected:

load from scanner

scan to pdf

Auto Open Output.

I 've just unselected Auto Open Output and saved the file as a pdf within a word file and I seem to have been able to open it okay. Not sure why because I didn't used to need to do this, but fingers crossed this may have solved problem as I've not been asked what format do I want to open it in.
    Thanks for your help, a bit of deselecting seems to have solved it.

Let's see if we can figure something out.
    When you do the scan is it done with TextHELP or the Canon software?
    Once the scan is complete it sounds like you're saving it as a pdf is that correct?
    Does the file name have the .pdf extension?
    Then you are trying to open the saved pdf from within TextHELP, correct?
    Instead of opening it's giving you the option to convert it to another format which isn't normal, correct?
    Are then any preferences in TextHELP that relate to the saving or opening of pdfs?
    Are they set correctly?
    What happens if you drag and drop the pdf on to the TextHELP app icon?

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Good to hear that you got a workaround to work. Using the info from your last post I Googled and found a manual online and I think I may have found what you need to do to put it back the way it was before the reinstall.

You can Quick View the manual here, or download the pdf here.

I think the key here is step 1 under section 9.1, you need to select Read & Write as the default app and have Auto Open Output selected. Here's the relevant parts of the manual.

9.1 SELECTING THE APPLICATION TO WHICH YOU WANT TO SCAN IMAGES

You can specify the application to which you want to scan images. You can select from the following options:
    • Read&Write 4 Gold For Mac
    • PDF – Adobe Acrobat
    • Word – MS Word
    • HTML – Safari.
    To select the application:

1. Select the Scan Options sub-menu from the Tools menu and then select one of the following options:
    • Scan to Read & Write
    • Scan to PDF
    • Scan to Word
    • Scan to HTML.
    This is now your default choice. In future, when you select the Scan Image option from the Tools menu, Read&Write 4 Gold For Mac will automatically attempt to scan a document to the selected application.

2. Select the Scan Options sub-menu from the Tools menu and then select the Auto Open Output option if you want the scanned image to be automatically opened in the selected application.

Don’t forget to save the scanned image in the directory of your choice.
    If you deselect the Auto Open Output option, you are prompted to name and save the scanned image file. To view the file, you must then launch the appropriate application and open the scanned image.

9.2 SCANNING DOCUMENTS

To scan a document:

1. Place the document you want to scan into the scanner.

2. Select the Scan Options sub-menu from the Tools menu and then select the Load from Scanner option.

This is now your default choice. In future, when you select the Scan Image option from the Tools menu, Read&Write 4 Gold For Mac will automatically attempt to scan a document.

3. One of the following actions will now occur:

• option from the Scan Options sub-menu, the scanned image automatically opens in the appropriate application
    • if you have deselected the Auto Open Output option from the Scan Options sub-menu, you are prompted to name and save the file.