unable to partition drive in macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Raidersmojo, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Raidersmojo macrumors regular

hey all,

trying to partition the drive (320 gig) to install windows 7 on. after allocating the space and setting the format to FAT32, it quits about half way and tells me partition failure. try lowering the amount of space devoted to the partition. even when shortening it I keep getting the same error. does anyone have any suggestions of what I might be doing wrong? anything would help, thanks in advance.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Did you run a Verify Disk with Disk Utility before trying to partition to make sure it was in good shape? Are you trying to create the partition with the Boot Camp utility?

3. Raidersmojo thread starter macrumors regular

I ran both verify disk and repair disk permissions and it said only one file could not be modified and it was left alone, is this the problem?

It still gives me the "maybe try a smaller partition" error.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Was it a file during Verify Disk or Repair Permissions that couldn't be fixed? If it's a permission I don't imagine that a permission would be the cause, certain permissions can't be repaired and Apple recommends ignoring them. Here's an Apple doc that explains which ones can be ignored for 10.5 (I don't know if there's one for 10.6 though):

:apple: Mac OS X 10.5: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions messages that you can safely ignore

Are you using the Boot Camp Utility to do the partitioning? Does the hard drive only have one partition on it to start with?

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Found this Apple doc, :apple: Boot Camp 2.0, Mac OS X 10.5: Frequently asked questions, maybe these sections below are helpful in your situation:

During installation, the Microsoft Windows installer asks me to format the Windows partition using NTFS or FAT. Which should I use?

If the partition is 32 GB or smaller, you can use either FAT or NTFS. If it's larger than 32 GB, or you are installing Microsoft Vista, then you can only format it using NTFS. Mac OS X can read and write FAT volumes, but only read NTFS volumes. Refer to the Microsoft Windows documentation if you are not sure which best suits your needs.

Which application should I use to create the Windows partition?

Use Boot Camp Assistant (in Mac OS X) to create a partition for Microsoft Windows without erasing your Mac OS X information. Boot Camp Assistant only works with an Intel-based Mac that has a single hard disk partition. Boot Camp Assistant creates a second partition on your existing startup disk for the Microsoft Windows operating system, or, if you have more than one internal hard drive installed, it will allow you to install Microsoft Windows on another drive. You can choose the size of the Windows partition when running Boot Camp Assistant, but it must be at least 5 GB and leave at least 5 GB of free space on the disk for the Mac OS X partition.

For example, if you have an 80 GB hard drive with 50 GB of space in use (30 GB free), your Microsoft Windows partition can be between 5 GB and 25 GB (30 minus 5) in size.

Note: Boot Camp Assistant does not erase your existing partition or existing Mac OS X installation when it creates a new partition for Microsoft Windows.

Important:
    Do not use third-party disk utilities to partition the drive before using Boot Camp Assistant--these may erase the disk.​

6. Raidersmojo thread starter macrumors regular

going to try all of this right now and see if it works, thanks!

7. Raidersmojo thread starter macrumors regular

harddrive only has one partition yes, with about 100 gigs of free space/