Unable to partition iPod or HDD.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SecondTomorrow, Aug 28, 2011.

1. SecondTomorrow macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm running a MacBook 2006 Core Duo, and need to partition my iPod Classic 80GB into GUID. However, when I use Disk Utility, it pops up saying, "Disk Utility internal error. Disk Utility has lost its connection with the Disk Management Tool and cannot continue. Please quit and relaunch Disk Utility," after which my only choice is to close Disk Utility.

What I also find odd is that I am in no way able to partition my HDD either, even though there is a large amount of space to do so. All my choices are grayed out except for the Volume Scheme drop down menu and Options button, but they unlock no other options regardless of what I pick.

Any help would be grateful, I haven't found an answer anywhere else.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Can you startup from your reinstallation dvd and format the iPod that way? Have you also tried repairing the drives with Disc Utility's repair ability?

3. SecondTomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately my disc drive no longer functions, hence the need for turning my iPod into a GUID partition. However, verifying and repairing both drives did nothing, and there were no errors found in either.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you have another Mac you can try formatting the iPod with?

5. SecondTomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the only computer I have at the moment.

6. SecondTomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I was thinking of replying but got distracted. Why are you trying to format an iPod? Can you grab a proper usb HDD and use that? I would think you are trying to make it bootable by picking GUID partition table and then going with 1 partition HFS+ so you can install and boot an OS from the thing but it's hard for me to begin to imagine using that little 1.8 inch HDD as an OS X boot disk when there are sub $99 usb drives that you can easily format HFS+ / GUID partition scheme and boot from them all day and night. The reason I mention this is there may be firmware on the iPod that will never allow you to make it anything other than Apple partition scheme which unlike GUID is not bootable.

8. SecondTomorrow thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to use it to install Leopard, because, as I said, my optical drive doesn't read anything anymore for some reason. Without any optical drive, I can't read the disc to install it. I could open the drive to see if I can fix it manually and if I can't... well, it's already not working so I wouldn't really be out much but I'm not well versed on how it works.

I can format my USB drive, but it's only a 4GB so that makes it sorta out. There are many guides that show how to install Leopard from an iPod but for some odd reason my Disk Utility errors while doing what anyone else seemed to easily do.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

10. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Ok now I think I have the full picture. One thing you can think about is buying ($79 from Apple even cheaper elsewhere) or borrowing an external optical drive. Also pick up an 8 gig USB stick (around $15). You can use disk utility to make a dmg of the Leopard disk. You can then restore that DMG to your memory stick after you set up your 8 gig USB stick as GUID partition table. At that point, you should be able to unplug your borrowed optical drive and (hold down option during boot to) boot from the USB stick whenever you need the "OS DVD". This is better than wasting an entire 80 gig iPod on a mere 4.7 gig OS install image. I wonder if you can make multiple partitions on the iPod? You really only need 5 gig for the OS DVD. The rest could still be used for other data or music. I recommended an 8 gig stick only because they come 2, 4, 8, etc.

I found some more info at macoshints from a guy claiming to boot from an iPod. Caution, sudo in the terminal is not something to trifle with. Proceed with caution.