Unable to (really) Delete messages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Herkysynching, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Herkysynching macrumors newbie

Call me naive, call me surprised, but I just realized that with the new "Search" page provided with the new 3.0 upgrade that the entire email , addresses, and other interesting data are still on my iphone, going back as far as when it was originally activated last August. I really thought I had Deleted all that data on a regular basis, deleting the trash accounts on all my addresses. I do have mobile me, but I've noticed that other friend's without mobile me also have this un-broken history. Only my friend that had to restore her iphone after a problem with loading 3.0 was showing a "clean" history of messages. This is kind of scary. Any thoughts?

2. muledogus macrumors 6502

3. tivoboy macrumors 68030

seartchlight cache

There might be a searchlight cache that needs emptying.

There will most likely soon, b "an app for that"

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

spotlight, not searchlight

5. Aurial macrumors 6502

In the settings app there is a setting for how far back you want the phone to download your mail from. I believe that the default is one month. After a month they generally don't show up in your mail app anymore.

If your mail service is running on Microsoft Exchange, as mobile me does, then the Spotlight Search also looks on your mail server when it searches for a string. The most likely basis for it digging up old email is that you haven't deleted them (or perhaps you have but its looking through a deleted items folder on the server) and they've just dissappeared from your phone because they're outside the sync period.

6. Herkysynching thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

I'll check out my settings again, but I'm still not sure which account has such a long history, and after calling several friends and family we all seem to have the same "problem". Wish there was more info out there for us casual users. I'm not paranoid, but do like to keep somethings private. Wonder if this affects Blackberrys?

7. rhg247 macrumors newbie

Same thing is happening to me. iPhone 3G running 3.0. The mobile spotlight is finding messages deleted many months ago. This is setup with pop and the iphone is set to only keep a weeks worth of messages. But, somehow, even after they've been deleted from the inbox, and deleted from the trash, they're still recoverable with spotlight. Any way to once and for all finally get rid of these emails?