Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belle14

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
I wasn't sure where to put this - I've posted in iOS 9, but I'm actually having exactly the same problem on my MacBook.

The problem is: since sometime around last Monday (25 Jan) I have been having trouble receiving email on my work account (Exchange). Some emails were coming through straight away, but sometimes a whole day's worth of email was being delayed. I've now worked out that the problem only seems to be when I'm using mobile data. I'm getting no error messages, emails simply aren't arriving. I should mention that I have several other email accounts on my devices (iCloud, gmail etc.) which are working fine, so it seems to be just the Exchange account.

I spend most of my life using mobile data through my iPhone or separate mobile wifi hotspot, so not receiving email is becoming a big problem. I've asked the IT people at work, but they don't seem to know.

This also isn't a signal strength issue - I have a 30MB/s 4G connection.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of any solution?

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
if you don't mind me asking, is your work email account of a company you work for, or are you self employed using exchange as your email domain for your business?
[doublepost=1454427438][/doublepost]
I spend most of my life using mobile data through my iPhone or separate mobile wifi hotspot, so not receiving email is becoming a big problem. I've asked the IT people at work, but they don't seem to know.

just seen this, sorry to ask.

The only thing I've done it in the past is delete the account and re-add it after.

Dtrip

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2014
I posted the same problem. What version of iOS are you running. My problem started with 9.3 PB2 and as you said, it's only my exchange account. There were a few other posts in 9.3 beta 2 thread about it being related to t-mobile, which is the carrier I use. But, I sync perfectly over wifi, so it seems to be related to the carrier settings that were delivered with the update, 23.5.4. So, it appears that if you are running 9.3 on T-Mobile, your exchange email will only sync over wifi. I don't think this explains your macbook issue though.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
I had something similar happen a few weeks ago. I went to the USA and was roaming on T-Mobile. A notification popped up that there was an update to carrier settings so I said okay to put them on. Thinking if i didn't that maybe my phone wouldn't work correctly in the USA.

Coincidentally, my iCloud email then quit working over cellular data; but it worked on wifi. My Exchange account worked fine on both. Prior to the carrier update, my iCloud email worked fine over cellular for the previous 6 hours.

I got back to Canada and my iCloud email was still broken over cellular data. I talked to my Canadian cell provider hoping they could push their carrier settings to my phone and fix it (they said they couldn't). I talked to Apple, they were no help; the CSR tried to tell me that wifi is required for iCloud and it doesn't work over cellular data.

I tried resetting network settings, resetting cellular settings, shutting off cell data, shutting off LTE, signing out and into iCloud, etc. And nothing fixed it.

I finally backed up and restored my phone; the problem persisted. Then I went and restored and set up as new, problem was gone. Hmm...restored from back up again and started looking around a bit more and under the Cellular settings, "use cellular data for" the Mail app was turned OFF!! I had never changed this setting and had received email successfully over cellular data for iCloud since the iPhone 4.

I turned this setting on and bam, my iCloud email starts working again. What I don't get is why my exchange email still worked over cellular with this setting off. I sent multiple emails from my desktop to my exchange account while testing with Telus and Apple and with wifi turned off. All exchange email went through, iCloud always failed to connect to server. And how did this setting getting mysteriously turned off after a carrier update from T-Mobile?

Anyway, this might not be your issue but since the problem sounded similar, thought I'd throw it on there. Especially since someone above mentioned T-Mobile which I was using when the issue started.

belle14

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Could this be some sort of carrier issue?
I would agree but wouldn't it also affect the other accounts, from receiving emails?

just thought have you got 'push' set on for that account?

It could be since I have the same carrier (EE) for both my iPhone and my mobile wifi hotspot. But I don't know if that could only affect Exchange accounts and not others?
[doublepost=1454433344][/doublepost]
I would agree but wouldn't it also affect the other accounts, from receiving emails?

just thought have you got 'push' set on for that account?

Oh, yes I do have push set for this account

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I would maybe suggest deleting the account, then re-adding it after. Assuming you know all the details to add it.

is it a work phone or your personal one?

belle14

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
I posted the same problem. What version of iOS are you running. My problem started with 9.3 PB2 and as you said, it's only my exchange account. There were a few other posts in 9.3 beta 2 thread about it being related to t-mobile, which is the carrier I use. But, I sync perfectly over wifi, so it seems to be related to the carrier settings that were delivered with the update, 23.5.4. So, it appears that if you are running 9.3 on T-Mobile, your exchange email will only sync over wifi. I don't think this explains your macbook issue though.

Now that is interesting. However, I'm currently on 9.3 PB1 and haven't yet updated to PB2. The problem with my MacBook is that I'm using a mobile wifi hotspot from the same carrier as my iPhone so it's very difficult to tell if the problem is with Mail, my Exchange account or my carrier!
[doublepost=1454433746][/doublepost]
I would maybe suggest deleting the account, then re-adding it after. Assuming you know all the details to add it.

is it a work phone or your personal one?

This is my personal phone. My Exchange account has an Outlook web app which can be accessed via a browser to change settings and delete all authorised mobile devices, so I've just done that and set up the account again on my phone, but the problem is still there.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Now that is interesting. However, I'm currently on 9.3 PB1 and haven't yet updated to PB2. The problem with my MacBook is that I'm using a mobile wifi hotspot from the same carrier as my iPhone so it's very difficult to tell if the problem is with Mail, my Exchange account or my carrier!
[doublepost=1454433746][/doublepost]

This is my personal phone. My Exchange account has an Outlook web app which can be accessed via a browser to change settings and delete all authorised mobile devices, so I've just done that and set up the account again on my phone, but the problem is still there.
Did this problem happen before you upgraded to PB?

belle14

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
It
I had something similar happen a few weeks ago. I went to the USA and was roaming on T-Mobile. A notification popped up that there was an update to carrier settings so I said okay to put them on. Thinking if i didn't that maybe my phone wouldn't work correctly in the USA.

Coincidentally, my iCloud email then quit working over cellular data; but it worked on wifi. My Exchange account worked fine on both. Prior to the carrier update, my iCloud email worked fine over cellular for the previous 6 hours.

I got back to Canada and my iCloud email was still broken over cellular data. I talked to my Canadian cell provider hoping they could push their carrier settings to my phone and fix it (they said they couldn't). I talked to Apple, they were no help; the CSR tried to tell me that wifi is required for iCloud and it doesn't work over cellular data.

I tried resetting network settings, resetting cellular settings, shutting off cell data, shutting off LTE, signing out and into iCloud, etc. And nothing fixed it.

I finally backed up and restored my phone; the problem persisted. Then I went and restored and set up as new, problem was gone. Hmm...restored from back up again and started looking around a bit more and under the Cellular settings, "use cellular data for" the Mail app was turned OFF!! I had never changed this setting and had received email successfully over cellular data for iCloud since the iPhone 4.

I turned this setting on and bam, my iCloud email starts working again. What I don't get is why my exchange email still worked over cellular with this setting off. I sent multiple emails from my desktop to my exchange account while testing with Telus and Apple and with wifi turned off. All exchange email went through, iCloud always failed to connect to server. And how did this setting getting mysteriously turned off after a carrier update from T-Mobile?

Anyway, this might not be your issue but since the problem sounded similar, thought I'd throw it on there. Especially since someone above mentioned T-Mobile which I was using when the issue started.

This is interesting. I'm on EE which is T-mobile in the UK, so I don't know if carrier problems are common across both. I've checked the settings and mobile data is enabled for Mail so it's not that. I would try setting up as a new phone, but I'm not sure this would solve the same problem on my MacBook...
[doublepost=1454434220][/doublepost]N
Did this problem happen before you upgraded to PB?
No, but I had been on PB1 for a while before the issue started and it seemed to start on my MacBook simultaneously.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
It

This is interesting. I'm on EE which is T-mobile in the UK, so I don't know if carrier problems are common across both. I've checked the settings and mobile data is enabled for Mail so it's not that. I would try setting up as a new phone, but I'm not sure this would solve the same problem on my MacBook...
[doublepost=1454434220][/doublepost]N

No, but I had been on PB1 for a while before the issue started and it seemed to start on my MacBook simultaneously.
As for your MBP I can't be much help I'm afraid, I reckon the problem could lie with the PB

belle14

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
Update:

I reset network settings on my iPhone and my emails are now sending and receiving. However, as soon as it tried to sync, I got the following pop-up:

Cannot verify server identity.
Identity of "vvm.ee.co.uk" cannot be verified by vmd. Review the certificate to continue

Both my iPhone and my MacBook are still failing to send or receive when connected to my mobile wifi hotspot. Is it possible that it is a carrier issue with EE's certificates?

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
Update:

I reset network settings on my iPhone and my emails are now sending and receiving. However, as soon as it tried to sync, I got the following pop-up:

Both my iPhone and my MacBook are still failing to send or receive when connected to my mobile wifi hotspot. Is it possible that it is a carrier issue with EE's certificates?

After seeing that I'd say yes but at the same time I don't think the PB is making it any better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.