Carrier Unable to receive LTE signal

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thatoneguy82, Mar 19, 2014.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Hi,

So because of the new AT&T plans, I decided to move my prepaid Verizon 3rd gen iPad to AT&T. I was told by several people, including AT&T, that I could use my VZW iPad on AT&T. So I got my AT&T SIM and popped it in, called AT&T and did the whole IMEI, SIM card number and activated it. Unfortunately, I was unable to get a LTE signal and after talking to tech support it was discovered that the SIM I received wasn't LTE-capable. They sent out a LTE-capable SIM and did the whole switching/activating on their end. Unfortunately, I still wasn't able to get a LTE signal (yes, I checked the "Enable LTE" in settings). The location that I was when talking to AT&T didn't really get good service so I chalked it up to that; I also asked them to double-check that my SIM was indeed LTE capable and they said it is. I'm now at a good service area and still no LTE, just 4G. Speedtest results reflect the appropriate speed.

What's wrong with my iPad? When I had my VZW prepaid SIM, I was able to get LTE so I know my iPad is capable of it. Is this happening because I'm using a VZW iPad on AT&T? Is the 4G the best I can get or is there something else I can do?

Thanks!

Details about iPad (3rd gen):
    Model: MC756LL/A
    SN: DN65H50****QV
    iOS 7.1
    Carrier: AT&T 16.0

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Verizon iPad 3 and 4 doesn't have the LTE bands for AT&T. What you're seeing is normal. So far, the only iPad that will support LTE on both Verizon and AT&T is the iPad Air and iPad mini with retina.

3. Tork macrumors regular

Tork

4. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Ugh. Thanks for the replies. I thought it would be some hardware limitation. Oh well. The HSPA+/4G speeds of AT&T aren't that bad at all. Plus, since I switched the device on the second line in my account and canceled my prepay with Verizon, I'm saving ~ $25/month. I suppose if I really needed an LTE connection, I could always tether my iPhone 5S to my iPad.