Unable to recover password with install disc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Thomas Blake, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Thomas Blake macrumors newbie

My brother forgot the password to his iBook's only administrator account. I booted the computer using the OS X Tiger install disc, and then used the Password Reset Utility to set a new password for his user account. I then rebooted the computer.

The computer asked me to log in. This is odd, because he has the computer set to automatically log in. Anyway, I input his username and the new password. The computer rejected the new password, which I am absolutely sure was spelled and typed correctly. I tried entering the password using both his short name and long name. Neither worked.

I rebooted the computer, and once again booted to the Mac OS X install disc. I attempted to use the password reset utility again, however this time the password reset utility claims that Macintosh HD has no user accounts.

How should I proceed from here, making sure not to lose any data?

2. tennismanclay macrumors regular

tennismanclay

ok, so i dunno if its against the rules of the forum to post this but im going to.

IF putting in the install disks dont work, restart the computer and hold apple s

you will then be sent into single user mode, when you become able to type, type in this exactly

mount -uw / (then hit enter)
    sh /etc/rc (then hit enter, it could take a while)
    passwd *the admins shortname* (then hit enter)
    type in a new password, it wont show up but your typing it,
    confirm it
    then type reboot and when u get to the login screen enter the new password and hopefully it will work

hope this works,

Clay

3. MacMarket macrumors newbie

Clay,

I have the same problem as Thomas Blake. something has gone wrong with my G5 running OS X 10.4.11 and now instead of automatically booting up on restart I am being prompted to log in, and my password is being rejected. I tried booting up from the install disk and using the reset password utility, but this had no effect. I even tried to reinstall the original OS X 10.4 from the installation disk, but this process aborted with an error message after some minutes. So I tried going into single user mode, which I have never used before. I am not familiar with Unix commands. I found some instructions similar to those you have given on the Internet but they did not mention the need to use the 'short name' so I entered 'Richard Bancroft' which is the user name appearing when the log in window appears. This had no effect. I didn't realise I had a short name. Where is this to be found? I have a Mac Powerbook which has the same system exactly and which is not experiencing the log in problems of my G5, so I can check on that what my 'short name' is (probably 'Richard').

Many thanks,

Richard Bancroft