Unable to reinstall OS using recovery mode

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
I am a total n00b when it comes to Macs but I do know how to install the OS in recovery mode as I've done that before on my wife's MacBook Air.

So my friend gave me his son's MacBook to reinstall the OS for him.

I booted into recovery mode, then I wiped the HDD.

Now when I was trying to reinstall the OS, it asks for the Apple ID, when I enter his son's Apple ID/Pass, it then says system is temporarily unavailable please try again later.

I Googled this and it seems either the date is incorrect or I need to enter the email/pass of the original owner.

I know that he bought this used from some dude so that's not an option to enter the original owner's credentials.

I then tried booting off with the CMD + OPTION + R key as suggested on some sites to install the original OS that came with the laptop but that still gets me to the exact same screen/recovery options as the CMD + R

anything else I could try?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
What year is the MacBook? What was the original OS and which OS do you want to install?
What year is your Wife's MacBook Air?

It might be possible to download a the full macOS installer on your Wife's MacBook Air and create a bootable USB installer to install the OS on the MacBook once the requested information is provided.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2018
What year is the MacBook? What was the original OS and which OS do you want to install?
What year is your Wife's MacBook Air?

It might be possible to download a the full macOS installer on your Wife's MacBook Air and create a bootable USB installer to install the OS on the MacBook once the requested information is provided.
I don't know what's the original OS and the laptop has no info on it, just a sticker underneath it which says 2015

We sold my wife's macbook air long back so that is no an option

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
What I would try:

1. Determine what OS is needed on the MacBook
2. Use YOUR Mac to download a copy of the OS installer
3. Use DiskMaker X (make sure you use the appropriate version of DiskMaker, for the version of the OS you're trying to install) to create a BOOTABLE USB installer flash drive (you'll need a USB flashdrive 16gb or larger to make one).
4. Take the BOOTABLE USB flash drive to the MacBook
5. Boot from the USB flashdrive (hold down option key at boot continuously until the startup manager appears to see it)
6. Use Disk Utility to ERASE the ENTIRE internal drive -- nuke it back to nothing.
7. Use the OS installer (on the flashdrive) to install a completely fresh copy of the OS.

See if that works.

Reactions: CoastalOR