Unable to remove incomplete all2mp3 download from desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DonnaMarilyn, May 10, 2010.

1. DonnaMarilyn macrumors member

Question from a Mac newbie.

I wanted to upload and install all2mp3 to convert wma files.
    I'm not quite sure how it happened, but the "installing update" window and the window saying "ALL2MP3 need to install XMail" have "frozen" on the desktop.
    I can move the windows around, but can't get rid of them.
    When I try to restart or turn off the computer, I get the message that the all2mp3 partial downloads are preventing this.

Oddly enough, a proper download did take place, and I've converted two files. I didn't realise the problem until after I'd sent off a couple of emails with the mp3s, and then wanted to clear my desktop.

(I'm using an iMac 0SX.10.6.2.)

Can anyone advise?

Thank you!

Donna

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Quit out of any running applications you are able to, and then go to Force Quit under the :apple: menu. If anything shows up other than Finder, quit out of it. Restart your computer afterwards. Everything fine?

3. DonnaMarilyn thread starter macrumors member

Unable to remove incomplete download...

JediMeister, thank you so much. I should have known there'd be a simple solution. :)

Everything's fine now.

Donna

4. silencer88 macrumors member

I've noticed this as well. Whenever I send a file as an attachment using Mail.app, I can't delete that file until I quit out of Mail. It doesn't make sense...

5. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

The file is still being used by mail in some form, in its cache or something else so it can't be deleted until the app is closed. So yes, it does make sense.

6. silencer88 macrumors member

No, it doesn't. I think you misunderstood my point. I understand that Mail is locking the file in some way and never releasing that lock, but I can think of zero reasons why Mail should lock that file until the program quits. It's clearly a bug.

7. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

It happens with other apps as well, if you've ever edited photos in preview and then trashed them, and tried emptying trash you'll see it will give you the 'this file is still in use and cannot be deleted' message until you quit preview. It's a normal thing on OSX and not, as far as I can see, a bug with the mail app.

EDIT: Just because you can't see a reason for the lock, doesn't mean there isn't one.

8. silencer88 macrumors member

I think we're just arguing different points. I understand what's going on (was a comp sci major at Penn). All I'm saying is that this is an undesirable behavior of at least 1 program (or maybe a bug in some osx framework used for accessing files). It shouldn't work this way because there is no sense in it working this way. I can't believe this was done by design. Therefore, a bug. :rolleyes: