Unable to remove some + screws holding fan and logicboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by soliloquy101, Apr 5, 2015.

1. soliloquy101 macrumors newbie

So i need to access the bottom of my Macbook mid 2010 logicboard to see the damage. Frustratingly, i am able to undo all the screws bar the ones holdng the fan, and two holding the upper white case.
    On iFixit, it says to use phillips #00 screwdriver which doesn't seem to be working. So far, the screw is stripped.

I have gone to the effort of using all the different phillips screwdrivers in my set including smaller ones, but nothing is working!!!!!! :mad:

Any ideas why it won't unscrew?
    Any solutions?

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Oh brother, at first sign of trouble you should had stopped.

If there are still SOME thread, I would find a very thin piece of cloth, wrap the screwdriver head with it and try again, applying max down pressure (making sure the back is supported), and veeeery slowly turn.

If there are no thread left, you will have to use a screw extractor, good luck finding anything that size, or somehow drill it out. You may wish to call cousin Viny who knows his tools.

Last option, take it to the Geek Squad and ask if they can help. Don't be surprise if they tell you, "eh OK, we will try, but we won't guarantee success or if things get damaged we won't be responsible."

3. Gav2k, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Can you take a photo?

It's been a long time since I repaired a MacBook as the screws were changed in the mbp to torq screws which offer a better purchase but if I remember correctly they are not flush mount screws so you should be able to grip the head with a decent set of needle nose pliers and slowly turn the screws out. Make sure you get replacements tho.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

If you stripped the screw, bad times. As per previous post, upload a picture, easier to give advice if we can see the issue