iPhone XS Max Unable to restore from ICloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ceviche Lover, May 13, 2019.

1. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

I just picked up an XS MAX from the Apple store. I took it home, tried restoring my backup from ICloud and it proceeded to download IOS 12.3. It is now stuck at 'Verifying Update' and I have no way of rebooting the phone as a hard reset is not working. I can't even get on Apple chat because I need the serial number(this is a replacement phone so no box) which I don't have. Anyone have any idea what I can do?

2. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

If possible, just take your iPhone as-is to an apple store and see if they can do something about it? Their diagnostic tool might be able to fetch the serial number. Alternatively, you can pop out your sim tray and tell apple chat the IMEI number. They could use this number to figure out what device you are having trouble with.

3. Ceviche Lover thread starter macrumors regular

I understand I can take it back to an Apple store, but I just came from there and want to try and fix this without having to make the drive back and be without a phone for a day. Kinda ridiculous they don't allow you to reset the phone once it is running an update ughhh...

4. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

I get it. It is sad to see the phone stuck and no way to hard reset it.
    Hope driving back to apple store is not your only option. :( I also notice this “update software before iCloud restore” thing as I am trying out using iPad. Silly design I would say but backup created later than iOS version cannot be restored either. I would say, when buying a new device always set as new and worry about restore later. That should solve the problem in the future.

5. Ceviche Lover thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it sucks. Anyway I got lucky and was able to find the serial number thru an email Apple sent me once I replaced my phone. They helped me fix it. Going to set it up as new, update IOS then restore from backup.

6. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

If it’s verifying the update, that means it’s not yet updating.

Try this, should work even if your stuck on a restore.
    [​IMG]

7. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

He says the hard reset does not work for him.

8. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

He also says the phone is stuck on verifying the update which should mean he is still in the settings app.

Hard reset should still work.

9. Ceviche Lover thread starter macrumors regular

This didn’t work as the slider to power off the phone was behind the verifying update so I couldn’t swipe it to powe it off. The solution was to hold button 3 for 10 seconds to reboot it