Unable to restore from time machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by M1kel, Dec 14, 2016.

1. M1kel macrumors newbie

Hi,

Ive just bought a new iMac and am going through the process of moving everything over from my old iMac. Both are running latest Yosemite 10.10.5.

I ran a full backup on my old iMac to a network Time Capsule drive and verified ok.

But when i open finder for example, then time machine and select a file the restore button remains greyed and i am unable to restore anything.

Can anyone help me with what i am doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Don't do it through Finder. Use the Time Machine interface described in this article.

3. M1kel thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry but that still doesn't work. I can see the files ok , i can select one and hit space bar and i get a preview ok but the restore button always remains greyed out...

Mike

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

5. M1kel thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi John,
    I have moved everything but I'm going to wipe my old mac and pass it on to a family member so i want to be able to access my backup should i have forgotten something...

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you logged in to the same account that was used to make the Time Machine backup?

7. M1kel, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016

M1kel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. Its the same on the original mac. On the original i can backup, verify but i can't restore from original or new mac...

Actually i can right click on a file and have the option to send the file to Dropbox and that works.

Still no option to restore it stays greyed out. Strange.

Mike