Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ragz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
I am new to MAC. I have the core 2 duo MBP. I am trying to reformat my ipod from windows format to mac format by going through the "restore" button. Each time I connect the ipod (60gb video version) and hit "restore" it takes about 45 seconds to pop up a message saying, "itunes could not contact ipod update software becuase you are not connected to the internet". Needless to say that I AM CONNECTED. I have tried using btoh ethernet direct connection and airport express. The itunes update works, when I press check for itunes update in the file menu. Am I missing something here? Is there another way to reformat the ipod to mac format?

Thanks in advance.
Ragz

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Welcome to Macs.

You really don't need to reformat it because it'll work just as well with the Mac as it did with the PC (if not better), but try erasing it in Disk Utility and then reinstalling the firmware in iTunes. Of course, this will lose all data kept on the iPod. :)

ragz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2006
This it the whole point. I am NOT able to install firmware via itunes on the mac. I get a "not connected to internet" message even when I am connected. I just updated my firmware via my home win xp pc and it connected instantly. Funnily, on the mac, the itunes software update works...does not show a "not connected to internet" message box...but shows it only when I press restore for firmware update for ipod.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, so select it in Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder) and reformat it to something simple like MS-DOS File System FAT32 and once that has finished, try loading the firmware on again via iTunes. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.