Unable to run (null)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kupoback, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Kupoback macrumors member

I keep getting this error when trying to click on anything in steam.

"Unable to run (null) Cannot connect to virtual machine."

I used to have Parallels on my MBP, but deleted the VM and uninstalled the partition. I have also noticed that sometimes an option on a right click is to open it in a windows based program using Parallels.

Any way to solve this?:confused::confused::confused:

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

3. Kupoback thread starter macrumors member

Mac. I don't have a partition for Boot Camp anymore, nor for a VM running through OSX.

4. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

5. Kupoback thread starter macrumors member

It's not just steam or games. I'm wondering if I have left over files from the partitions from Parallel's. Is there a way to find out?

6. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I don't think this has anything to do with Parallels. I know it mentions virtualization, but I can't help but think that it is talking about some other type or virtualization. Is there any other reason you think it has to do with Parallels? Is Steam giving you the error?

7. Kupoback thread starter macrumors member

It's not just steam. There is something on my Hard Drive that is telling OS X that windows can open this program as well, though windows is not installed on my computer at all.

Example, I went and right clicked on a swf I have been working on for class and my Open With options are, Adobe Flash CS4, Device Central, and Internet Explorer partition.

Basically what I'm looking for is a way to make sure that everything that can link to windows and prevent a file from opening in OS X as it should, isn't stopped by old window's files.

8. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Oh, I think I see. Did you uninstall Parallels? (Not just trash it) If you haven't you need to download it (the trial is fine) then there will be an uninstaller in the disk image.

9. Kupoback thread starter macrumors member

10. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

11. Kupoback thread starter macrumors member

I tried both of them, and it still appears. Uninstall couldn't because it said Parallel's was not installed (I might have actually deleted it using trash can:eek:).

The terminal command, after inputting it, didn't seem to do anything and then went to waiting for command.

Any other ideas for me to try?

12. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Install parallels then uninstall it. I'll bet that fixes it. If it doesn't I don't know what it could be.

13. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Use Onyx or Maintenance (link @ bottom of article) to rebuild LS database. The command in the article was for 10.5. 10.6 may be different.

14. Kupoback thread starter macrumors member

Installing and uninstalling took care of the initial concern, but the IE option still exists. That doesn't bother me as much, but I will attempt to try Knoodles option. Thank you!