Unable to Save to Desktop

sgtbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Kansas
For some reason, I am unable to save any documents to the Desktop. I've tried saving several documents to the Desktop as I used to do, but that feature is eluding me now. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong? I can't seem to find a fix.

Bob

iMAC, 4gb RAM, 1 TB HDD, Mavericks:confused: OS X 10.9.2

sgtbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Kansas
'Unable' means that when I saved the document, it does not immediately appear on the Desktop; however, on a restart, the documents I had saved to the desktop then appeared, and now new 'saves' appear. Must have been a small glitch since it seems to be working now.

Thanks for the response.

Partron22

macrumors 68020
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
'Unable' means that when I saved the document, it does not immediately appear on the Desktop...
This behavior's been around intermittently at least since Lion. Finder's display of desktop is updated asynchronously now, which means if your Mac's real busy, it can take a while to show you your files. Sometimes it may miss doing the update altogether. You can usually fix this without a cold boot, just restart the Finder. Press command-option-escape to bring up the Force Quit window, and select Finder. Hit the relaunch button.

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
possibly a good reason to NOT fill up your desktop with documents, files, folders.

just a thought: consider putting folders in your Documents folder, and aliases to those on the desktop.

sgtbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Kansas
fisher king - You're correct - I usually post the documents on Desktop for a short time though pending other actions.

Partron22

macrumors 68020
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
just a thought: consider putting folders in your Documents folder, and aliases to those on the desktop.
I specifically exclude desktop folder from Time Machine backup, which makes it a handy place to keep temporary items I know I won't need to restore sometime over the next decade. Those sometimes not so little temp files will chew through backup space to no useful purpose.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
This behavior's been around intermittently at least since Lion. Finder's display of desktop is updated asynchronously now, which means if your Mac's real busy, it can take a while to show you your files. Sometimes it may miss doing the update altogether. You can usually fix this without a cold boot, just restart the Finder. Press command-option-escape to bring up the Force Quit window, and select Finder. Hit the relaunch button.
It also positions files weirdly on desktop. I have snap to grid turned on. Its such a basic functionality, why arent they fixing it

Partron22

macrumors 68020
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Its such a basic functionality, why arent they fixing it
Because it deals with FILES, and we consumers are not supposed to have to worry our pretty little heads over that:
And eventually, the file system management is just gonna be an app for pros and consumers aren't gonna need to use it.
-Jobs
What Apple doesn't seem to realize is that when they remove complexity for consumers, they're failing to replace it with viable options for pros.

beosound3200

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2010
Because it deals with FILES, and we consumers are not supposed to have to worry our pretty little heads over that: What Apple doesn't seem to realize is that when they remove complexity for consumers, they're failing to replace it with viable options for pros.
so theres no way to repair that?

slow appearance of dragged and dropped file on the desktop, also weird placement, between the 'grid' spaces after appearing...

i would be grateful for any kind of information you have on the subject. thank you