Unable to see my bootable usb/external HDD from boot menu

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Si777, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Si777 macrumors newbie

Hey guys wondering if you could help me...

I'm trying to put windows back on my system (windows7 home pre) and I have created a bootable drive via boot camp then within boot camp I hit the install windows 7 or later version... I already have the latest support software downloaded on another usb.

So this all goes fine but when the computer reboots I get a black screen saying no bootable disk, insert a bootable device and press any key. I do this and get nothing.

So I restart and hold down the alt/option key whilst its booting and my bootable usb doesn't show up. I only get my mac and a recovery disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Which Mac is it?
    If it's one that comes with an optical drive you will not be able to install from a USB drive.
    You will have to use the optical drive.

3. Si777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey... is imac mid 10 27" and yes it did come with a optical drive and still has it in there.

I've tested out and played some random CD's etc and they worked fine... however when I run the bootcamp process and it tells me to insert disc it spits it back out. I have tried the official disk and also a burned iso image but they just get spat out after 30 secs or so.

Also I have managed to install windows 8 on this system via usb or a external hdd and also think I installed windows 7 as well (too far back and cant remember how I did it).