Unable to see other macbook on my network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brentg33, Jan 6, 2009.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

hi all i have a mbp running 10.5.6 and my girlfriend just got a new mb running the same. i am unable to see her computer on our wireless network....is there a network setting that i am missing? thanks

2. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

Do you want to share files between the computers? I think you may not have turned on file sharing (System Preferences, Sharing).

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well sure, but right now when both of our macbooks are on the network i am unable to see hers in finder. i was however, able to see her old PC there when that was on the same network

4. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

Let me restate my question as a statement.

On my home network (wired and wireless mix), I can see every host, Windows or Mac, that has file sharing enabled. I can also see every Mac that has Screen Sharing enabled.

That means I can see some of my macs, and not others, because those others (the kids laptops) do not have File Sharing enabled.

If you cannot see her on the same network, either she's running a firewall or she's not enabled any sharing, or both.

5. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, i enable file sharing on both MBs and now i can see each others in finder/shared. however it fails to connect on either computer. what else do i need to do?
    thanks