Unable to see special file on external disk.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SSI89, Nov 20, 2008.

1. SSI89 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Our network is a complex mesh topology of Mac/Win machines running different versions of their respective operating systems. The problem I'm having is that I can't see a backup file "Backup Set X" or "Backup Set X.cat" on this external disk (Apple Time Capsule 500 GB).

The backup software was designed for a client/server environment where the xserve running OS X server 10.3.x. I do not know if the problem can be isolated to the backup software, or the external disk, but I am able to read/write to the external disk (connected via ethernet) which tells me that I am not experiencing a networking problem.

Are there any caveats that would cause me to be unable to see this file?

I've attempted backups from both the Win/Mac machines and while the disk drive indicates that 150 GB are being occupied, I am still unable to see the backup set file.

Any thoughts on how to isolate this problem?

2. belvdr macrumors 601

Can you directly connect it via FireWire/USB? If so, go into Terminal and cd to the directory:
    Code:
    cd /Volumes/<whatever the unit is mounted under>
    then do a:
    Code:
    ls -la
    This should show you all files on the disk. If you're still not seeing anything, I think a disk check is in order, but I have no clue how to do that on a TC.

3. SSI89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't run these commands for devices connected via ethernet?

The TC doesn't have a FireWire port and the USB port takes a USB A connector, I don't have any sort of hard ware adapter or cable that can bridge the connection between two USB cables.

It is astounding to me that this external hard disk made to be used with the OS 10.5.x Time Machine utility doesn't have a FireWire port.

-

I could possibly splurge for a USB-USB cable, but it would be incredibly frustrating to find out that the problem was somewhere else.

4. belvdr macrumors 601

Can you mount it over the network then using NFS or SMB? If so, my commands above still apply.