Unable to select disk for installation software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wasabisjors, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Wasabisjors macrumors member

Wasabisjors

Hello everyone,

I've tried Googling this 'problem' I have, but so far no joy. Hopefully somebody here can help me out.

I've just recently bought an iMac 27" with a 256 GB SSD and a 1 TB HD. I've partitioned the SSD (one part for OS X and a part for Windows under bootcamp).

When in OS X I tried installing several programs, I'm never asked on which drive to install the software (either the SSD or the 1 TB HD). It just skips this question during the installation.

E.g.: Was installing Adobe Reader X. In the installation menu it jumps from 'Readme' to 'Installation Type', without asking me 'Destination Volume'.

Used Disk Utility to check the 1 TB HD, but all seems ok.
    Structure of the disk: MAC OS Expanded (journaled)
    Ownership: NO

Last part, ownership NO, seems a bit strange to me, although I'm not sure if this is important. Could the fact that I'm not asked which Destination Volume to install a program to, have anything to do with this? If so, how do I change it?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers.

2. BONEDOKTER macrumors newbie

BONEDOKTER

Unable to select disk for installation software

I am having the same exact problem. I did not try to partition I tried moving every thing over and everything tries to install on the SSD. Anyone have any ideas?:confused:

3. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Don't know if it will help but to change owners enabled to yes, open finder, select the HD partition, right click, get info, click lock at bottom of get info window, enter your password, uncheck "ignore ownership on this volume"

4. Wasabisjors thread starter macrumors member

Wasabisjors

Tried this... hasn't helped....

5. Knoodles, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

6. BONEDOKTER macrumors newbie

BONEDOKTER

Unable to select disc

I want to be able to use my computer like I normally do, I dont want to have to think about which drive something goes on, thats why I chose a Mac, I like easy, I am not savvy enough to make all the changes that everyone is suggesting, I dont really have the time or knowledge to try it. Isnt there some software or some thing that tells the computer put it on the SSD or put it on the HD automatically, what happens when the SSD gets full, will it just spill over to the other hard drive. I may need to sell this thing, only had 2 days.:(

7. Wasabisjors thread starter macrumors member

Wasabisjors

@Knoodles

Thanks for the link. I've read the article, and I guess it somewhat makes sense.

What I just don't really understand is, why I can't select which drive the program should install itself on.
    Like in the Windows days, during installation, you could tell the program to install on e.g. C:\.... or D:\...

If I select my Time Machine, I can select which drive Time Machine has to make it's backup on... (my SSD, the 1 TB HDD or my Time Capsule).

I guess it's not fault in my new iMac, but apparently some software setting??