Unable to Send Email

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Resist, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Recently bought a new 13" Macbook Pro and really like it. I have one issue however, after setting up my Charter POP email account I can't send email, only receive it. I am positive the settings and password are correct. They are the same as on my PC and iPhone 4. My household also has an older white Macbook using a Charter POP email account running Mac OS X 10.5.8 without any problems.

I was reading something on the Internet where others are having this same issue and it may be due to Mac OS X 10.6.4. Some suggested changing the user name to my email address, but that didn't fix the issue for me.

Any other suggestions?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Try setting your user name to your email address, but with a + instead of @ ...

e.g.:

r.j.s@domain.com --> r.j.s+domain.com

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

That didn't work either.

This is really bothering me now and don't understand why it can't connect with the smtp.charter.net server. A Macbook was supposed to make my computing experience easier, not harder. I never had this kind of issue with email on my PC or even my iPhone.

UPDATE: I fixed it! I reviewed the settings in my iPhone 4 again and discovered that my Macbook listed the incoming server as mail.charter.net, when it should have been POP.charter.net. Then I removed the password and name from the smtp outgoing server. Works fine now.