Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deserteagle56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
All of a sudden I am unable to send email - even reply to an email I just received. Incoming mail works just fine, as does the internet. I am running a Mac laptop (PowerPC G4 15", OS version 10.4.11, Mail version 2.1.3). Every time i try sending or replying I get the following error message:

"Error - This message could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox until it can be delivered. Verify that you have addressed this message correctly. Check your SMTP server settings in Mail Preferences and verify any advanced settings with your system administrator"

I have done all that. The settings are the same as on my PC, and I can reply to that same message and it will send perfectly on the PC. The firewall is turned off. Any ideas??

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
If you are still able to receive incoming messages, you must take a look at the outgoing server settings. On OS X 10.4.11, go to Mail preferences, go to the accounts tab, then look under the Incoming mail server settings for Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) with the drop down menu. Click Server settings. Unless there's a particularly noticeable typo in the outgoing mail server, the only culprits remaining are the other settings as far as the port being used, SSL on/off, and the authentication. Of these 3, the most common issue is the port number. ISPs and email providers love to change this on a regular basis to combat email spammers, but they don't always tell people what they change the number to in advance or even for a few months afterwards. If everything was hunky-dory until today that may ultimately be the culprit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.