Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
When I've been trying to send mail on my iPhone, I'm getting this message:

Cannot Send Mail
The connection to the outgoing server "p04-smtp.mail.me.com" failed.
Additional Outgoing Mail Servers can be configured in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

I've tried the Apple troubleshooting tips including deleting the email account and setting it back up, but to no avail.
Thanks for any help.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Same here. Status page lies and says it's all OK.

I called support and they said they're having issues with SMTP.

Elrainia

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2014
Same problem here (from about 7am GMT). Our household has 2 accounts using p04-smtp and 2 other accounts using p09 and p21. It's only the p04 that appears to have a problem and as Brian says, the status page is incorrect.

The server doesn't respond to a nmap scan and you can't telnet to port 25 as you can normally. I would guess the server is down, or at the least, the services on the server are down.

I called Apple about 9am and they escalated it, but had no time to fix. Hopefully someone will be getting up in California soon and they'll press the reset button!

marisa8184

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
Exactly the same problem here - mine is p04-smtp.mail

Quite fed up with this - especially with the status board showing everything is OK you only need to do a search on Twitter to know that it's affecting lots of people.

Elrainia

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2014
@satcomer - Not trying to be funny, but did you actually read the posts in this thread? There are 5 posts prior to yours, three of which mention the inaccuracy of the System Status page and two people reported that they had contacted Apple!

On a more positive note: There is a thread on Apple's Support Communities discussing the subject.

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
I'm broke as well.

----------

The fix from the apple discussion is:

I have fixed the problem on my iOS devices by changing the outgoing mail server to smtp.mail.me.com and disabling the default "iCloud" server.
Presume I will be able to change back when the p04 server has been fixed.

Be sure to enter your main email address as your username and the password for email in password, for this to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.